• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
    That would be highly unlikely .....
    Agreed. But I know of one who did so. And I ain't saying publicly if HMRC have caught up with them or not yet.....

Comment

So the ex-pm doesn't avoid tax, but he does 'spend a fortune every year on lawyers and accountants in order to make sure everything is completely [compliant with the law]'

I agree. I' m not avoiding any tax, as I paid what was legally due.

Tony Blair insists that he does not avoid paying tax | Politics | The Observer

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        hahahaha

Its nice for someone to bring some light relief to this thread!

We have been very clearly picked on. And treated dreadfully. It is now very personal between us and a certain person at HMRC who has way more influence than he should.

When I got called by the police about threats made in an earlier thread I was informed it was not personal. I laughed and disagreed.

Its personal and its winner take all.

Haha yes but they couldn't even be consistent about it. Some people got letters saying their tax return was fine and others didn't.

Having contracted in the public sector nothing surprises me. Seeing how they work, it isn't surprising they can take so long to get things done (e.g. 7 years to challenge a scheme that was transparent). It would be fair to say they spend more time browsing the Internet than working.

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
          Haha yes but they couldn't even be consistent about it. Some people got letters saying their tax return was fine and others didn't.

Having contracted in the public sector nothing surprises me. Seeing how they work, it isn't surprising they can take so long to get things done (e.g. 7 years to challenge a scheme that was transparent). It would be fair to say they spend more time browsing the Internet than working.
          LO Cock
          MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
            +1. My ex-wife is with HMRC. What you say is true - plus they have huge contempt for the public. We are all guilty until proven innocent. I remember my ex saying that someone wrote in asking for £16 back - they said no chance until he spent at least £500 in accountants fees.

Though Brannigan makes her look like an angel.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
              So the ex-pm doesn't avoid tax, but he does 'spend a fortune every year on lawyers and accountants in order to make sure everything is completely [compliant with the law]'
              How does that even carry any weight nowadays?

According to paragraph 86 of Uncle Clive QC's learned monograph (B001), the Rule of Law is so last year.

Comment

Ministermind

NoToRetroTax - YouTube

Another movie.

Comment

great work

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
                  NoToRetroTax - YouTube

Another movie.
                  great work. any buddy mix artists out they able to turn the text into a song? think along the lines of War by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD LYRICS - War

Comment

Originally posted by dpthomas007 View Post
                    I have just found this letter which is dated 9 March 2006 sent by HMRC

Dear Sir

Notice Completion under Section 28A(5) TMA 1970

I refer to your recent correspondence and the information provided.

On reviewing this information, I have concluded that no further questions need to be raised and therefore no amendment is needed to your Self Assessment.

This letter gives notice that I have completed my enquiries into your 3/4 Self Assessment Tax Return.

Yours faithfully

A Barnett
                    Thanks 007 for coming forward. Can you remember if the scheme ref. number was filled out on your 3/4 return?.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Agreed. But I know of one who did so. And I ain't saying publicly if HMRC have caught up with them or not yet.....
                      I did my own also and yes several years later HMRC did open out of time enquiries.
                      My MP asked what i'd have done had they disputed my returns in a timely manner. I replied I wasn't given the chance to even make that choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X