• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    does make me laugh, HMRC think we intentionally flouted 1987 legislation. I had no clue about any Padmore or 1987 legislation, they make it sound like we are all bloody experts in legislation, what a loads of c*ck
    Thing is they know full well we never flouted the legislation. It is just their excuse for trying to justify their actions.
    Last edited by TalkingCheese; 24 April 2012, 17:10.
    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by NonnyMouse View Post
      Just curious as to why there hasn't been a downing street petition set up? Even if you don't get the required numbers for it to be brought up it would add authenticity to the campaign IMHO
      There was one, some time ago. Back when people agreed with Nick Clegg - it got a lot of signatures, and was ignored. There may have been one before that too - during Brown's time too. Whatever happened to him.....
      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
        There was one, some time ago. Back when people agreed with Nick Clegg - it got a lot of signatures, and was ignored. There may have been one before that too - during Brown's time too. Whatever happened to him.....
        If one of the victims had him as their MP.............I wonder what Browns reaction would be now that he is in the wilderness.............or was he always in the wilderness?
        Last edited by OldITGit; 24 April 2012, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by OldITGit View Post
          If one of the victims had him as their MP.............I wonder what Browns reaction would be now that he is in the wilderness.............or was he always in the wilderness?
          He doesn't do much to represent his ward aparently. Too busy giving speeches and earning ££££. I wonder if his financial arrangments are as efficent as Blair's....
          There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Thanks!!!

Thanks to all those, especially DR, who have done a wonderful job of setting up NTRT. I will be joining and hopefully when I get a new contract I will be able to contribute more.

Thanks for the effort put in we all appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
              Pre 2007 the only info I had from HMRC/IR was that they were enquiring into my returns and furthermore they "want to make sure you pay the right tax, not too little or too much..." (Nov 2006). I have had enquiries when permy which were dropped once relevant info/explanations were supplied. HMRC/IR gave me no reason to believe the same wouldnt happen here.

I really want to get a reply through an MP or two on this obvious discrepancy. Hopefully it is coming...
              Our MP said that he will write to Gauke on this very subject. So, hopefully....

It's worth repeating that THIS "discrepancy" was far more powerfully persuasive than the clarification\retrospective "discrepancies".

Comment

Question

Why aren't any of the scheme promoters supporting the campaign?

Even if they won't give a donation surely they could inform all the users about the website.

They have the ability to transform the campaign by endorsing it. Personally I'm sick of hearing them tell us that the courts are the answer.

Perhaps we should be lobbying them as well as MPs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

New Graphical view of timeline

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
                  Our MP said that he will write to Gauke on this very subject. So, hopefully....

It's worth repeating that THIS "discrepancy" was far more powerfully persuasive than the clarification\retrospective "discrepancies".
                  Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
                    Yes, I was the one who started the second on-line petition/poll, as part of Nick Clegg's 'Your Feedom' initiative, asking the great British public which laws they thought wrong and should be repealed. At the time the poll was closed, my suggestion ('Repeal retrospective tax measures, specifically section 58') was the one that clocked the most comments (although it came second to 'legalising cannabis' in attracting the most support!).

Since then, I have heard not a dickie bird. Clegg obviously got his fingers burnt with this experiment in democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      An excellent time line. The only thing missing is the time of the letter asking us if we were 'willing to wait for the outcome of the Special Commissioners' Court?' - in my case this letter was received on 16th May 2007.

I tried to comment on this on the campaign site but got redirected to the 'join now' page (although I had already signed in).

Comment

Working...
                      X