• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zippo View Post
    With the above in mind, what do we now need to ask our MP's to be doing.

zippo
    Nothing at the moment. Let's wait to see what happens on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      It may not be what you were expecting, or hoping for, but there are good reasons why it has been positioned in this way.

House of Commons Amendments

All being well, it should be debated in the Finance Bill Committee on Tuesday.
      DR, I get it and think its genius!

Comment

Nothing at the moment. Let's wait to see what happens on Tuesday.
        Sorry for being thick and asking a stupid question - but don'y we need our MPs to shout "hear hear" and then vote for the amendment?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Sorry for being thick and asking a stupid question - but don'y we need our MPs to shout "hear hear" and then vote for the amendment?
          Not quite - this is in a committee rather than in the main chamber. It's a far more subdued affair. The amendment will be proposed and the proposer will talk about it. Others with then join in and then the Minister will respond.

If the Minister accepts it then that’s that. If he does not, then it will either go to a vote or the proposer can withdraw the amendment.
          There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Amendment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            BP - this isn't an amendment request per se - its a request that Gauke at least recognises that there's something amiss here and that he agrees to review it and effectively carry out an impact assessment in line with Rees Rules. As smalldog said earlier, it is indeed genius. Gauke would be a complete idiot (which I think he is anyway) to refuse a fair and reasonable request such as this, and I am quite certain, knowing what I now know, and in full possession of countless documents that prove HMRC's disgraceful conduct in relation to our cause, that such a review would uncover some extremely unsavoury facts, omissions, inactions and inconsistencies (which I like to call lies), and even perhaps gross perjury by members of HMRC (which would be a laugh)
            At that point Gauke will look at the report and say "oh, maybe NTRT had a point - maybe this is why they would'nt go away, in fact maybe I was actually right in 2008 when I vociferously opposed section 58".
            And combined with other things the Campaign is doing, a lot of people are going to end up with a lot of egg on their faces.
            I for one am most delighted at the way Whitehouse and NTRT have handled this. Its very very clever.
            Join the campaign at
            http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
              Not quite - this is in a committee rather than in the main chamber. It's a far more subdued affair. The amendment will be proposed and the proposer will talk about it. Others with then join in and then the Minister will respond.

If the Minister accepts it then that’s that. If he does not, then it will either go to a vote or the proposer can withdraw the amendment.
              Who is on the comittee and who is the minister (gauke?)?

Do we know how many of them support our cause?

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
                And combined with other things the Campaign is doing, a lot of people are going to end up with a lot of egg on their faces.
                ...and it has to be said, the longer the powers that be leave this, the worse it will be. People keep coming in and showing us documentation that hardens our case. Ministers won't be carrying the can for this one.
                There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

+1

Exactly what I was thinking....

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

Yes, the Minister is Gauke.

The committee members can be found here:
                    House of Commons Public Bill Committee on the Finance Bill 2012-13 — UK Parliament

NTRT/Whitehouse have met a number of them in Westminster, and we have supporters from all 3 parties.

All members have been presented with the briefing material, and they have been sent a new briefing paper for Tuesday's debate.

Comment

Yes, the Minister is Gauke.

The committee members can be found here:
                      House of Commons Public Bill Committee on the Finance Bill 2012-13 — UK Parliament

NTRT/Whitehouse have met a number of them in Westminster, and we have supporters from all 3 parties.

All members have been presented with the briefing material, and they have been sent a new briefing paper for Tuesday's debate.
                      Best Friday afternoon news yet! Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      X