• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax agreement between Australia and UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian
    I suspect that you're right, that it's a firm operating on behalf of the UK IRD.

I've been able to track down an interesting piece of legislation in NZ, the Reciprocal Enforcement of Judgements Act 1934. Basically, it allows for court orders issued in the UK to be applied for enforcement through the courts in NZ. If the courts in NZ agree, then the UK judgement can be applied in NZ and therefore UK debts (any debts, not just tax ones) can be collected in NZ.

As NZ and Australia have a fairly common legal history (together with and based upon the UK), I wouldn't be surprised if there was similar legislation in Australia.
    Its not privatised, there are actual offices run by UK IR but who use locally based PI's for tracing. A lot of NZ/Oz law is not just based on UK law but actually has to pass through the Royal Courts of Justice on The Strand - until they ask/get independence anyway. There is also a lot of collaboration between UK and NZ/Oz Pi's to deal with divorce matters where one parent cannot get child access etc - or thinks they can hide without paying maintenance. I could trace a Kiwi/Aussie down from the UK even when they are back home, you can't hide it just depends on how much somebody wants someone and how much they would pay for it. A person not trying to hide would probably only cost £80 to trace, up to a £1000 if they are trying to hide but they will still get caught sometime - you just set the trap.

I got one Kiwi completely by surprise when I called him at home to request maintenance payments. He laughed in my face thinking I could do no more, the papers were emailed to a contact in Auckland who later that day (morning for me) hand delivered the papers which were valid in NZ.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian
      I should add that, although i believe that it's not currently done, the Revenue is considering outsourcing debt collection (apparently there's all sorts of privacy issues to be ironed out....)
      Hahahahaha...this is the funniest thing Ive seen for ages!

Imagine the disaster this will be when private companies, with no morals or ethics, start going after people for money! Its gonna be a disaster I tells you...a disaster!

On a serious note, I had some feckers send me a letter (actually, it was addressed to someone with a similar, but not the same, name to me) demanding a couple thousand pounds or they would take me (or the person with a similar name to me) to court to get the money.

Had all sorts of people come around asking for the money but after I threatened legal action and involvement of the police I never heard from them again.

I wonder how many others would have just paid up in that situation?

Mailman

Comment

Isn't it incredulous the lengths the government will go to for a few quid in tax, and yet when it comes to tracking down murderous rapist illegals who have bunked off jail they take no interest at all?

Only in Britain......

Comment

Working...
        X