• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's Your Work Freedom Day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Your Work Freedom Day?

Was reading some irrelevance about Tax Freedom Day, and it got me to thinking: how many days do I have to bill in a tax year in order to give me the freedom to do whatever I like for the rest of the year?

When is your Work Freedom Day?

To work it out...

Calculate the amount of income that you require in order to cover all of your living costs, including a sensible amount for recreation, holidays etc. and tax for one year

Subtract from this the income that you will earn from
    - buy-to-let properties
    - other personal investments
    - interest on the capital you have in the company bank account

Then, calculate your effective daily rate (either use one of the Contractor Calculators, or work it out for yourself if you feel like spreadsheet jockeying)

Then, calculate how many days of revenue you need to earn in order to ensure that you have
    - your income required for one year (don’t forget to allow for higher rate tax, if you fall into that bracket)
    - New Investment Capital. I try for a 10% contingency on top of my income requirement each year to put into savings/investments.

Then, working from 6 April (the start of each tax year), find the date on which you have achieved your revenue target. This, for you, is Work Freedom Day. From that day on to the end of the tax year, all work that you do is optional and should be undertaken only if
    - it’s interesting
    - it’s increases your earning potential in future years
    - you really want to

Or, for the mathematically minded among you
    WFD = 6th April 06 + ((Sum (Costs inc. tax) + Sum (New Investment Capital) – Sum (Investment Income))/Effective Daily Rate)
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Oh dear...

Mine comes on day 473...

Think I may be living beyond my means!!!

Comment

Haven't worked it out myself but I'm prepared to bet it's in April.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Mine used to be April, now it's around about December.
        But don't you have different months in the Gorn calendar?

Comment

mine was 30 August, but then the wife saw a house with a paddock and WFD is now in the next tax year.

again.
          Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

mine appears to be last year sometime

Comment

Working...
            X