• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sage instant financial suite v12

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know how broken Line 50 is - I've had to work with SDO (Sage Data Objects) before and I got seriously angry at it (COM interop with .Net via ASP.Net with batch SOP creation - lovely).

I don't care if it doesn't work - I will just do my usual thing and send them a summons for breach of Trading Standards regulations (I forget the one - it's a template letter). It gets fixed free of charge then. I did this with Microsoft once and got my own patch release (before they got large and nasty - this was NT 3.51).

Does anyone think there is a market for an open-source Sage Line 50 replacement with optional paid support? If so I might just fecking write one.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
      Note the "we". I run a proper company and have someone else to do the accounts in-house before it all gets passed to the accountant at year end
      True, however as I employ an accountant part-time in-house nowadays I was recalling the old days when the company was first setup and I did everything - which was crap - but I now understand how most things work, which makes me appreciate people who actually want to do things like accounts even more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
        I know how broken Line 50 is - I've had to work with SDO (Sage Data Objects) before and I got seriously angry at it (COM interop with .Net via ASP.Net with batch SOP creation - lovely).

I don't care if it doesn't work - I will just do my usual thing and send them a summons for breach of Trading Standards regulations (I forget the one - it's a template letter). It gets fixed free of charge then. I did this with Microsoft once and got my own patch release (before they got large and nasty - this was NT 3.51).

Does anyone think there is a market for an open-source Sage Line 50 replacement with optional paid support? If so I might just fecking write one.
        Doubt your w@nky letter will get you very far, its part of the licensing agreement that you agree to if you open the package. If you don't agree (before opening the box) then they'll happily refund you, otherwise I think the stock answer is

'Find a cliff, some trainers and go for a long run...'

Comment

http://www.turbocashuk.com/

I tried using this once but found it to be a pile of crap. Others might have a better experience though.

Comment

Originally posted by paulb567
            http://www.turbocashuk.com/

I tried using this once but found it to be a pile of crap. Others might have a better experience though.
            Yeah that is a bag of tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
              Doubt your w@nky letter will get you very far, its part of the licensing agreement that you agree to if you open the package. If you don't agree (before opening the box) then they'll happily refund you, otherwise I think the stock answer is

'Find a cliff, some trainers and go for a long run...'
              That's not enforceable. EULAs aren't enforcable at all if you know how to approach the problem. If the goods aren't of satisfactory quality, the do give me my money back when the letter hits as it costs them more time and money to argue...

Comment

Originally posted by boredsenseless
                True, however as I employ an accountant part-time in-house nowadays I was recalling the old days when the company was first setup and I did everything - which was crap - but I now understand how most things work, which makes me appreciate people who actually want to do things like accounts even more.
                I worked in accounts for 7 years as a permie before switching 'careers' and taking the plunge into the realm of contracting. My then boss kept trying to get me to go for ACCA quals but I just couldn't face it - soooo boring! I now really enjoy doing the books myself and just leave payroll and taxation issues to the accountant. Maybe I'm just odd...

Comment

Sage

Ok going to buy Sage instant financial suite - apparently it files your HMRC payroll paperwork for you *jumps for joy*.

I need payroll unfortunately as I've just landed a bloody contract that requires other staff (shock!) and I'm a cheapskate therefore I won't be allowing someone to rape my pocket for payroll services.
                  Find Sage Line 50 to be a decent package when used correctly....a nightmare to pull apart if it's not set up & used correctly. For payroll software would recommend www.moneysoft.co.uk, cheap & does the job very well...also files online. Not a big fan of Sage payroll systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
                    Find Sage Line 50 to be a decent package when used correctly....a nightmare to pull apart if it's not set up & used correctly. For payroll software would recommend www.moneysoft.co.uk, cheap & does the job very well...also files online. Not a big fan of Sage payroll systems.
                    Yeah agree about Sage payroll. I bought instant financial suite v12 and found v11 payroll shipped with it which is only valid for 2005/2006 PAYE. What a load of tulipe. I'll look into that - looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@1stAccountancyServ
                      Prices aren't bad either, might have a go a the free demo and look into changing over to that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X