• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being forced to go Permie-is this legal??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being forced to go Permie-is this legal??

I presently working at a company and have a contractor collegue that is getting all sorts of text messages etc from the outsource supplier that he is contracted to threatining to cancle his contract if he doesnt go permie for them instead of working as a contrator.

Anyone know if this is leagal- can yo point me to some definitive legal reference??

Thanks in advance.

I suggest your colleague reads his contract carefully. If they have the right of cancellation (with or without notice) then they can do exactly that. If they don't, they can't. If it's an outsourcer, my guess is they will have made sure they can terminate at any time. That's one (only one mind, there are plenty of others) of the reasons why I won't touch the wanky scum.
    They can't make him go permanent though, any more than they can make him stick pins in his eyeballs (which equates to roughly the same thing). They can invite him, and he can decline, politely or otherwise.
    If I was your mate, I'd be checking Jobswerve and making sure my CV was up do date.
    Feel free to tell us who this particular bunch of scum are, any with previous experiences will happily chip in with better advice. Good luck.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Forward/Show the SMS to someone higher up the chain. I doubt very much the outsourcer no matter how bad they could be would agree to one of their managers behaving like this. No they cannot make someone go permanent.

Comment

If the pay and conditions etc are exactly the same then it could be worth it...it would be the ultimate betrayal and doomed for a life of "Did you hear about the contractor who became a permie" jokes but if he can take it then why not?

Comment

Originally posted by funkyd
          If the pay and conditions etc are exactly the same then it could be worth it...it would be the ultimate betrayal and doomed for a life of "Did you hear about the contractor who became a permie" jokes but if he can take it then why not?
          Oi, I've just gone permy. After 23 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
            Splitter!!!
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

wheres your allegiance to your contractors gone!!

Comment

Much depends on whether the contractor is working on a personal services basis or as a real business. If the former, then he shouldn't be surprised that permieland beckons on the same role, if he was under client control anyway and using company facilities and pretty much acting out the role of a temporary permie.

It's downright cheeky for any client to ask a real business operative to go permie though. Still, if the contractor has behaved like a permie on site irrespective of what his contract terms are and made efforts to become a cultural fit and join the staff jollies etc. then he only has himself to blame. He has an even bigger worry if Gordo comes knocking too.

I am working as a real business in my role and no one has been in any doubt that I am a real business. I started as I meant to go on and I refer to my client as a client at all times, and never use terms like line manager or being part of a team, never use the staff facilities and come and go as I please.

Just think of yourself as a freelance man in a van 'builder' building a family's extension then you can see more clearly the absurdity of being regarded as a 'family member' and being asked to be adopted into the fold later on.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB

i presume this is your last post here then?

i believe www.moaningpermiesuk.com/forum is looking for posters
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
                  X