• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AWR and Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWR and Umbrella

Evening,

My agency (Morsons) have issued a statement that claims all LTD sub contract staff do not come under the AWR rulings as LTD companies are outside of IR35.

However, umbrella companies fall inside of AWR and have been awared the following;

1.25 time for overtime
    1.5 time for weekend work
    35% uplift for continental work
    30% uplift for nights

Us contractors with our own LTD companies are expected to work overtime, nights and conti shifts for single rate.

Does this sound fubar to you guys?

Originally posted by Madocks View Post
    Evening,

My agency (Morsons) have issued a statement that claims all LTD sub contract staff do not come under the AWR rulings as LTD companies are outside of IR35.

However, umbrella companies fall inside of AWR and have been awared the following;

1.25 time for overtime
    30% uplift for nights

Us contractors with our own LTD companies are expected to work overtime, nights and conti shifts for single rate.

No, that sounds exactly the way you should want it to be.
    Contractors working through umbrella fall within the scope of AWR, as a contractor whose services are being provided by YourCo, you are outside AWR.

In scope: premium rates, paid holidays, sick pay, access to staff facilities, certain bonuses blahblahblah.
    Out of scope: the freedom to operate your business as you see fit, with all the benefits that brings.

Though BIS states that merely operating though a PSC for tax purposes does not definitively put out you of scope. AWR Guidance notes Page 9.

Comment

Just because you work through your own limited company does not mean that you will fall outside the scope of the AWR - although there are yet to be any court tests the guidance from BIS has indicated that the same tests used to determine status under IR35 will apply to AWR.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Well, they're wrong. Ltd companies cannot be "outside IR35" - a particular contract that the Ltd is engaged on may be outside IR35, but that doesn't make the Ltd "outside IR35" - otherwise avoiding IR35 would be simple. Also, working through a Ltd does not necessarily avoid AWR - you can avoid AWR by genuinely being in business on your own account (so an outside-IR35 contract would probably mean you are outside AWR).

1.25 time for overtime
        30% uplift for nights
        Yay for those that work through umbrella companies - good negotiating on their part.

What does your contract say? If there is nothing in there about differing rates, then you get the same rate.

I'm wary of your phrase "expected to work overtime..." - if the client is offering you work and you are obliged to accept it, then that buggers your IR35 status. Which makes a mockery of the first statement.....
        Last edited by TheFaQQer; 15 February 2012, 12:20. Reason: Fixed quote
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Evening,

1.25 time for overtime
          30% uplift for nights

They will have to match what they offer the permanent staff, however whether these higher rates will ever be paid, I very much doubt.

At the end of the day someone has to pay for AWR and it is certainly not going to be the client, agency or umbrella, it will be the contractor.

Some umbrella companies will make out that they are suffering the extra costs, and some may do for a while, but when the full cost and implication of AWR has fed through the systems, even the they will have to start passing on the extra costs.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
          X