• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Directors Loans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Remember dividends can only be taken from PROFIT. If you have been giving yourself money that should have been put aside for tax you could be in a lot of trouble. Also if you have been just giving yourself the money with the idea of giving it back by the end of the year so your books would have read what they did all along you are also in a lot of trouble.

Get an accountant.
    All I have been doing is taking the money out of my company bank account and putting it in a web saver account to earn some interest.

I will repay this back to my company - but I dont want to end up in a lot of trouble.

I have an accountant - but so far I have been recording everything myself, and I have not discussed this with them.

So I cant undo what Ive done - but I need to kn ow the best way forward.

I'll repay any money with interest to cover my company tax but is there anything else I should do?

Comment

Originally posted by GECK0 View Post
      I'll repay any money with interest to cover my company tax but is there anything else I should do?
      Speak to your accountant.

What is the point of having an accountant if you don't use them for accountancy questions?

Comment

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
        Speak to your accountant.

What is the point of having an accountant if you don't use them for accountancy questions?
        Well thanks for the advice :-(

I have just appointed an accountant last week. I was hoping for some advice here....

Comment

Well thanks for the advice :-(

I have just appointed an accountant last week. I was hoping for some advice here....
          You got the best advice possible for your situation. We can't look at your books to see what to do, see how much interest you made so we know what to claim and so on. We don't generally care so better to let someone else look at it that is paid to care.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

All I have been doing is taking the money out of my company bank account and putting it in a web saver account to earn some interest.
            I cant undo what Ive done - but I need to kn ow the best way forward.
            Don't worry too much but do tell your accountant what you've done and they can sort it all out properly. For background read this topic which has some really good advice from one of the helpful accountants here.

If you took < £5,000 then you can just pay it back and there are no consequences.

If the loan is a penny more than £5,000 at any time during the tax year then you either have to pay tax on the benefit in kind (BIK) if it was an interest free loan. If you pay the loan back with interest at the HMRC approved interest rate then there is no BIK. The interest becomes company income which the company pays CT on and can then distribute back to you as salary/dividends so if you paid your company £1000 interest then you could potentially get £800 of that back after Corp Tax was paid.

There are a couple of dates to be very aware of, in particular the loan has to be repaid before 9 months after the last day of your company tax year. If your loan is still outstanding then your company gets hit with a 25% charge on the loan amount. See the guidance from HMRC on Corporation Tax implications of overdrawn directors' loan accounts. And no, you can't just pay the loan back and then take out another one the next day (bed and breakfasting) to get around this restriction.
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Don't worry too much but do tell your accountant what you've done and they can sort it all out properly. For background read this topic which has some really good advice from one of the helpful accountants here.

If you took < £5,000 then you can just pay it back and there are no consequences.

If the loan is a penny more than £5,000 at any time during the tax year then you either have to pay tax on the benefit in kind (BIK) if it was an interest free loan. If you pay the loan back with interest at the HMRC approved interest rate then there is no BIK. The interest becomes company income which the company pays CT on and can then distribute back to you as salary/dividends so if you paid your company £1000 interest then you could potentially get £800 of that back after Corp Tax was paid.

There are a couple of dates to be very aware of, in particular the loan has to be repaid before 9 months after the last day of your company tax year. If your loan is still outstanding then your company gets hit with a 25% charge on the loan amount. See the guidance from HMRC on Corporation Tax implications of overdrawn directors' loan accounts. And no, you can't just pay the loan back and then take out another one the next day (bed and breakfasting) to get around this restriction.
              Thanks so much for your help and advice.

I will read the various links that you have provided, and talk with my accountant.

It should be OK - since I can repay it with interest if required.

Thanks again!

Comment

Offset mortgages

Originally posted by minstrel View Post
                I don't think either accountant is correct.

Yes it's legal - providing you deal with it correctly and pay back in full before year end.

If you pay interest at the HMRC approved rate (currently 4%), then there is no need to declare on P11D.

If you don't pay interest then you do have to declare it on P11D and pay tax and NI as it's treated as a benefit in kind.

Whether or not it's worthwhile depends on your situation.

If you earn 2.8% net interest personally and then pay your company 4% you will be 2.8 - 4 = -1.2% at this stage. The 4% interest will be additional income for the company which would incur 20% CT leaving 3.2% which could then be distributed as dividends so you could end up -1.2% + 3.2% = 2% better off.

However, you can easily lose most of the benefit if you are high rate tax payer. Say you earn 2.8% gross interest and you are taxed at 40%, you would have 1.68% net interest personally. Pay your company 4% and you would be -2.32%. The 4% interest earned by company would be 3.2% after CT. If this is distributed and subject to higher rate tax on dividend you would have a net dividend of 2.4%. -2.32% + 2.4% = 0.08%.

By my calculations it's only worth it if you can earn a higher personal interest rate or you use the funds to offset a mortgage effectively making it tax free interest.
                ...therefore its only feasible if the offset mortgage is higher than HMRC's current approved rate of 4%?

Comment

Originally posted by jags274 View Post
                  ...therefore its only feasible if the offset mortgage is higher than HMRC's current approved rate of 4%?
                  No.

It depends on your individual circumstances, but in general if the interest rate on your mortgage is higher than the savings rate your company can get then it is worth doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jags274 View Post
                    Not quite.

Let's say you can take a director's loan from your company and pay 4% interest to the company. The company then pays this money back to yourself as a dividend, minus 20% Corporation Tax. That means that the net cost of the directors loan is 0.8% APR if you are a lower rate tax payer. If you are a higher rate tax payer then the net cost of the directors loan is 2.4% APR because you have to pay higher rate tax of 25% on the dividends.

It looks even more attractive if you are paying off a high interest debt, like a credit card but don't be tempted because you will just max out your credit cards again and have no money to pay your company back and this will land you in a lot of trouble. Remember that from the company's point of view, this is a LOAN that MUST be repaid or you will get stung by the Corporation Tax implications of overdrawn directors' loan accounts. DON'T do it if there is any risk that you will default on it. To my mind, the only safe option is using the director's loan to reduce the balance on a fully flexible mortgage where you can borrow the money back at any time.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                      That means that the net cost of the directors loan is 0.8% APR if you are a lower rate tax payer. If you are a higher rate tax payer then the net cost of the directors loan is 2.4% APR because you have to pay higher rate tax of 25% on the dividends.
                      Net cost will be 1.6% (4% @ 40%). The effective rate of interest will be 2.4%.

Comment

Working...
                      X