• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat rate VAT Return question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate VAT Return question

I'm just about to submit my first ever VAT return and I want to make sure I get the figures right. Can I just quickly check my understanding is correct.

If for arguments sake I only raised 1 invoice for the period covered by this VAT return; that invoice was for 50 hours worked at £20p/h, which is a total of £1000. The total invoice raised would be £1200 to include 20% VAT.

My flat rate VAT for my first year is 13.5%

So the figure in box 1 on the online form (Vat due on sales and other outputs) would be 13.5% of the total invoice amount (£1200), in this example £162. Or should it be 13.5% of £1000?

And the figure in box 6 (Your flat rate turnover for the period) would be the total invoice amount, in this example £1200?

I just want to make sure I 'really get it' before pushing that submit button

Thanks guys

You're taking 13.5% of the gross, so £1,200 = £162. The box 6 figure should be the gross sales value, so £1,200 (it says net sales, but that's just because they've never updated the form).
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by pippin View Post
      I'm just about to submit my first ever VAT return and I want to make sure I get the figures right. Can I just quickly check my understanding is correct.

If for arguments sake I only raised 1 invoice for the period covered by this VAT return; that invoice was for 50 hours worked at £20p/h, which is a total of £1000. The total invoice raised would be £1200 to include 20% VAT.

So the figure in box 1 on the online form (Vat due on sales and other outputs) would be 13.5% of the total invoice amount (£1200), in this example £162. Or should it be 13.5% of £1000?

And the figure in box 6 (Your flat rate turnover for the period) would be the total invoice amount, in this example £1200?

Thanks guys
      The figures should look like this based on your workings

Box 1 £162
      Box 2 £0
      Box 3 £162
      Box 4 £0
      Box 5 £162
      Box 6 £1200
      Box 7 £0
      Box 8 £0
      Box 9 £0

You can press submit

Comment

Thanks guys
        Box 1 should be the VAT due, so in your example 13.5% of £1,200 ie £162.00

The Flat rate % is applied to the gross invoice value.

Box 6 should be the gross invoice value ie £1,200

Alan

Comment

Thank you guys, I thought that was right but a bit paranoid about Mr Vat Man.

You're time is much appreciated

Comment

If for arguments sake I only raised 1 invoice for the period covered by this VAT return;
            Do you know that you can also use cash based turnover method?

Comment

Originally posted by Kugel View Post
              Do you know that you can also use cash based turnover method?

Nope, what's that ?

Comment

Nope, what's that ?
                Under cash based turnover method you only account for VAT on paid invoices.

HMRC - Flat Rate Scheme for small businesses

Comment

Done.

Thanks for your help
                  Last edited by pippin; 2 February 2012, 16:14.

Comment

Working...
                  X