• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Tale of the Unsigned Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tale of the Unsigned Contract

One of my fellow contractors has brought this issue to my attention.

What does the panel think ?

He responded to an advertisement for a contract in London, the contract was for a company via an IT agency.

He attended and interview and was offered the position, however he did not sign the contract as he received a better offer, and informed the agent a week before the contract was due that he was unable to start.

The agent was annoyed at this and told the contractor that he was concerned that by not signing he could harm the agents relationship with its client.

In the absence of a signed contract I dont think he should be unduley concerned, what does the panel think?
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 10 May 2006, 15:23.

Well, they say (and it's true) that an oral agreement is binding. However, it is by its very nature rather difficult to prove in court. In all likelihood the agent is just trying to scare your friend and he/she shouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      Well, they say (and it's true) that an oral agreement is binding. However, it is by its very nature rather difficult to prove in court. In all likelihood the agent is just trying to scare your friend and he/she shouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Thanks LB.

I thought likewise, had he signed the contract it would have been a different kettle of fish of course.

Comment

As ever, IANAL. All you, sorry, your friend has to do is to state that he was willing to start but found the contract terms to be outside his requirements so declined. He understood that any verbal agreements were dependant on suitable contract terms.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          As ever, IANAL. All you, sorry, your friend has to do is to state that he was willing to start but found the contract terms to be outside his requirements so declined. He understood that any verbal agreements were dependant on suitable contract terms.
          Pedantic nitpick for old-timers like me:

Verbal = written
          Oral = spoken

I'll have no truck with this modern revisionism of meanings.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Pedantic nitpick for old-timers like me:

Verbal = written
            Oral = spoken

I'll have no truck with this modern revisionism of meanings.
            Well I never, you learn something new every day!
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
            X