• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I pay myself the next 3 months salary in advance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I pay myself the next 3 months salary in advance?

Basically, I've got myself into a bit of a pickle and my personal account is running dry now. I have my annual salary at £12,000 and due to lack of business have not taken one for the last 4 months. Now that I have a short term contract, instead of paying myself for the last 4 months (I've already declared zero income for this period because I was chased up for PAYE), can I simply elect to pay the next 3 months to myself in advance?
    Last edited by NadJ; 15 January 2012, 10:25.

You can, but it will be seen as a loan to you. Go careful if it takes your total loan value over £5,000 as it will become a benefit in kind.

You could increase your salary for the current month instead, although it will mean more tax.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Helpful as ever. It will be below £5,000 in total so that's brill!

Thanks Clare

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        You can, but it will be seen as a loan to you. Go careful if it takes your total loan value over £5,000 as it will become a benefit in kind.

You could increase your salary for the current month instead, although it will mean more tax.
        I regularly use 'directors loans' for cash flow elsewhere(include > 5k for a short while). There is of course the adage that 'if it all balances out at the end of the year' then it's all OK as well but a proportion of accountants/posters on CUK will deny this (in case you ever get auditted )
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I regularly use 'directors loans' for cash flow elsewhere(include > 5k for a short while). There is of course the adage that 'if it all balances out at the end of the year' then it's all OK as well but a proportion of accountants/posters on CUK will deny this (in case you ever get auditted )
          so do I...and although they are supposedly not legal, there are no fines associated..you can charge urself interest to get out of sticky situations

Comment

Originally posted by John Crowe View Post
            so do I...and although they are supposedly not legal, there are no fines associated..you can charge urself interest to get out of sticky situations
            I don't think you are doing the same as MF or even the correct way. There is no interest required on directors loans and they are perfectly legal. Paying some interest also does not get you out of a sticky situation either.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NadJ View Post
              Basically, I've got myself into a bit of a pickle and my personal account is running dry now. I have my annual salary at £12,000 and due to lack of business have not taken one for the last 4 months. Now that I have a short term contract, instead of paying myself for the last 4 months (I've already declared zero income for this period because I was chased up for PAYE), can I simply elect to pay the next 3 months to myself in advance?
              You could pay yourself a salary for the 'missing' 4 months at £589 pcm, as this is below the PAYE & NIC thresholds, then no tax or NIC will be due, so your declaration can stand.

You can therefore make a payment of £2,356 (£589 x 4) with no worries regarding loans or making an incorrect declaration.

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X