• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recovering money from unpaid invoices after winning in court

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering money from unpaid invoices after winning in court

Hello all

I am hoping for some tips on how to recover money from unpaid invoices, work done for a private individual.

Work carried out in 2004 to a good standard, trying to get paid since. Court found in favour in 2008, Bailiff was unable to recover (Gentleman did not answer door etc). Second court case also found in favour, second Bailiff also was unable to recover the money.
    the amount is 5k+ legal/solicitor/court/time costs.

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, rich

Originally posted by richy View Post
    Hello all

I am hoping for some tips on how to recover money from unpaid invoices, work done for a private individual.

Work carried out in 2004 to a good standard, trying to get paid since. Court found in favour in 2008, Bailiff was unable to recover (Gentleman did not answer door etc). Second court case also found in favour, second Bailiff also was unable to recover the money.
    the amount is 5k+ legal/solicitor/court/time costs.

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.
    Cheers, rich
    Sounds like a lost cause if it's dragged on for 7 years. It appears the 'gentleman' concerned is not going to pay. Hope you have better luck in the new year.

Comment

Aren't there outfits you can sell debts to (for a reduced %age) ?

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        Aren't there outfits you can sell debts to (for a reduced %age) ?
        I can't imagine they'd want to take it on if two bailiffs have already tried and failed.

I got a CCJ against somebody 3 years ago, but gave up on receiving the money as it looked like he was going to declare himself bankrupt. Which is what ultimately happened. There's no point suing somebody with no ability to pay, and it's naive to think just because you win in court means that you actually get the money.

There was something you can do that forces an examination of somebody's financial situation. But that'll most likely cost you more money. I would just give up.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

You should have got a debt collector involved from the beginning rather than take the individual to court. Debt collectors only take on cases where they know they will get paid. So you would have saved yourself some money and time.

Also if the individual knows how to dodge your bailiffs successfully it's likely he has lots of other debts and has done this many times before.

The only way you will get the money now or stop the individual doing this again is using illegal methods.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            You should have got a debt collector involved from the beginning rather than take the individual to court. Debt collectors only take on cases where they know they will get paid. So you would have saved yourself some money and time.

Also if the individual knows how to dodge your bailiffs successfully it's likely he has lots of other debts and has done this many times before.

The only way you will get the money now or stop the individual doing this again is using illegal methods.
            I wouldn't using anything illegal methods ish... however, what are you getting at..?
            Thanks, rich.

Comment

Putting the 'frighteners', possibily via a rouge 3rd party agent, on the gentleman concerned could be the only remaining option. However, I'd strongly advise not going down this route.

Comment

Working...
              X