• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reclaiming UK VAT for EU contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming UK VAT for EU contractor

I'm currently contracting in Germany of which I'm German VAT registered.

I purchased a laptop online in the UK and was wanting to reclaim the UK VAT.

Could anyone help and tell me how to do this.

I've read info on the HMRC web site and noted there is an online portal but can't find the link.

Originally posted by tic1212 View Post
    I'm currently contracting in Germany of which I'm German VAT registered.

I purchased a laptop online in the UK and was wanting to reclaim the UK VAT.

Could anyone help and tell me how to do this.

I've read info on the HMRC web site and noted there is an online portal but can't find the link.
    Give the paperwork to your German accountant and they should do it for you, mine does.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I contacted my German accountant who wasn’t very helpful before I purchased. I bought the laptop without giving my German VAT number so it’s not incorporated in the invoice.

I was told by the supplier that I should contact HMRC for a refund. Since contacting HRMC they told me the supplier should have billed without VAT and it was not their responsibility to refund in this situation.

As my German accountant charges for every character typed or read. I’m reluctant to contact them to be charged the pleasure of them refusing to help. Therefore could I ask if you supplied the invoice to your German accountant with UK tax and no reference to your German VAT code.

Comment

I contacted my German accountant who wasn’t very helpful before I purchased. I bought the laptop without giving my German VAT number so it’s not incorporated in the invoice.

I was told by the supplier that I should contact HMRC for a refund. Since contacting HRMC they told me the supplier should have billed without VAT and it was not their responsibility to refund in this situation.

As my German accountant charges for every character typed or read. I’m reluctant to contact them to be charged the pleasure of them refusing to help. Therefore could I ask if you supplied the invoice to your German accountant with UK tax and no reference to your German VAT code.
        If you were in the UK then you simply claim it on your VAT return.

HM Revenue & Customs: Imports and purchases from abroad: paying and reclaiming VAT

I would have thought the system was similar in Germany.

Comment

Stuff that I've bought from the UK and elsewhere has never had my German VAT number on the invoice, this goes for when working in the UK for claiming expenses such as petrol, food and hotels. As I said, I just pass it to my accountant and she does it all...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X