• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most tax efficient way to work in Switzerland (Geneva)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most tax efficient way to work in Switzerland (Geneva)

I'm considering taking a contract in Geneva. I've read the generic advice in 'Working Abroad' on this site, searched the internet via Google and not found any info that is up to date and relevant. So now the questions:

The options that have been put to me are:-
    1. Work as an employee of the consultancy that I will work for and pay tax, insurance, pension, health care etc as all of the other staff that work there.

2. Become self employed but also under the Swiss tax system.

Are there any other legal options that I could use to minimize my outgoings?

Feel free to let me know if you need any additional info in order to answer my question.

xx

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by ToadInTheHole View Post
      I'm considering taking a contract in Geneva. I've read the generic advice in 'Working Abroad' on this site, searched the internet via Google and not found any info that is up to date and relevant. So now the questions:

The options that have been put to me are:-
      1. Work as an employee of the consultancy that I will work for and pay tax, insurance, pension, health care etc as all of the other staff that work there.

2. Become self employed but also under the Swiss tax system.

Are there any other legal options that I could use to minimize my outgoings?

Feel free to let me know if you need any additional info in order to answer my question.

xx
      3. Work as an employee of some other Swiss company. I.e. use a Swiss umbrella company, more or less.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Also in Geneva it's almost impossible to find accomodation, has something like a 99.9997% occupancy rate, so you have to either:

1. Hotel - make sure rate covers it

2. Live in France - the nearby places are a bit didgy I understand.

Have you read englishforum.ch - lot's of good stuff on there...

Comment

Brolly Co's in Switzerland??

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          3. Work as an employee of some other Swiss company. I.e. use a Swiss umbrella company, more or less.
          Are there any Umberella companies in Switzerland?

Does anyone have any recommendations of ones that they have used?

xx

Comment

umbrella

Originally posted by ToadInTheHole View Post
            Are there any Umberella companies in Switzerland?

Does anyone have any recommendations of ones that they have used?

xx
            try V FIVE , they have good rates. Most other like tentoo or rmit .... are double.

good luck

justme

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Also in Geneva it's almost impossible to find accomodation, has something like a 99.9997% occupancy rate, so you have to either:

1. Hotel - make sure rate covers it

2. Live in France - the nearby places are a bit didgy I understand.

Have you read englishforum.ch - lot's of good stuff on there...
              I worked there for three months last year and can confirm all of this. Lived over the border, much cheaper.

englishforum.ch is very good. Also useful, and more Geneva-specific, is glocals.com.
              Thanks given - 0
              Thanks received - 0
              Likes given - 0
              Likes received - 0
              F*cks given - 0

Comment

Originally posted by CiderEagle View Post
                I worked there for three months last year and can confirm all of this. Lived over the border, much cheaper.

englishforum.ch is very good. Also useful, and more Geneva-specific, is glocals.com.
                The joys af Annemasse. I stayed at the Park & Suites there - basic, but it's cheap and you can cook yourself simple meals. A small studio was about 1000 euro a month, including bills. The town itself is a dump but when public transport is running (French busses don't seem to do late nigts especially at weekends) it's fairly easy to get in and out of - you can buy a monthly pass that covers all of Geneva and Annemasse public transport at the main train station in Geneva.

The CHF seems to have been on somthing of a rebound lately, so it's worth bearing that in mind with your rate. When I was there it was at 1.7 to the pouind. it's now 1.45 or so and it did drop to about 1.2 when the Swiss stepped in and bought loads
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Contracting

I am an American and planning to do contract work in Zurich.

Any thoughts about visa requirements? Can I come in and out of the country every three months for meetings etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by axwack View Post
                    I am an American and planning to do contract work in Zurich.

Any thoughts about visa requirements? Can I come in and out of the country every three months for meetings etc.?
                    You will need a work permit. Check out englishforum.ch but for heavens sake, search there first, this question comes up a lot and they are worse then here for piling on.

Comment

Working...
                    X