• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant Problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prozak View Post
    Watchootalkinbout Kitty?

Your 7k salary comes off your company profit. Hence the 1400 a year saving in company tax. not personal tax.

So with better planning you could have:
    1. Paid yourself 7k a year - saving 1400 in tax.
    2. Planned your dividends better to not go over the 40% threshold (unless you required that money)
    But I would have had to pay income tax & NI & employers NI as I had already earned over 7K & would have to do payroll based on figs from my P45? so I would have paid more tax - income tax & NI.

Comment

Originally posted by juliehendry View Post
      Although I didn't mention who my accountant is I was contacted by their owner who apparently trawls these boards and recognised my name. Have to say I was creeped out by the uninvited approach which claimed I had not made a complaint
      Might I suggest that either you burn this CUK account, or PM admin and ask him to change your username.

Having a username on a public forum which links to your name / website / company name is asking for trouble, IMHO.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by KittyCat View Post
        But I would have had to pay income tax & NI & employers NI as I had already earned over 7K & would have to do payroll based on figs from my P45? so I would have paid more tax - income tax & NI.
        Ahh yes. Well it wasn't clear that you had already earned a salary this year.

I don't think I am the only one who read your post as suggesting you just paid yourself dividends.

Comment

I don't think I am the only one who read your post as suggesting you just paid yourself dividends.
          Assumptions Assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by KittyCat View Post
            Ah. do you mean you've already earned more than 7K from previous/other employment this tax year? If so, you're right there is no benefit to paying yourself any salary this year.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Ah. do you mean you've already earned more than 7K from previous/other employment this tax year? If so, you're right there is no benefit to paying yourself any salary this year.
              Yes exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                You would still be able to claim Corporation tax relief, so it is still worth doing.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
                  You would still be able to claim Corporation tax relief, so it is still worth doing.

Alan
                  Whoa!

you're gonna have to justify that one Alan.

Anything Kitty now earns is taxed at 20% personal (assuming she is still under the higher tax rate) - negating the CT benefit, essentially just passing the tax to her personal tax band.

Plus she pays 12% NI.
                  Plus there is 13.8% Employers NI.

Plus every pound she earns means 25% to be paid on the dividends she has already taken (she has already said she is over the higher tax rate due to dividends i think)

Or am I wrong?

By all means please prove me wrong. I am no expert.

Comment

That would be me too.

"The last couple of years I've just taken all dividend" was what did it for me. Clearly she has other sources of income which invalidates the entire debate. Oh well.

Comment

Whoa!

you're gonna have to justify that one Alan.

Anything Kitty now earns is taxed at 20% personal (assuming she is still under the higher tax rate) - negating the CT benefit, essentially just passing the tax to her personal tax band.

Plus she pays 12% NI.
                      Plus there is 13.8% Employers NI.

Plus every pound she earns means 25% to be paid on the dividends she has already taken (she has already said she is over the higher tax rate due to dividends i think)

Or am I wrong?

By all means please prove me wrong. I am no expert.
                      Less CT means more profit available for NI-free dividends perhaps...?
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X