• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cannot go home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot go home

Two weeks ago on wednesday I applied for a British passport renewal, as the old one is dammaged and expires in December, using the 5 day fast service. Last weekend I was unable to go back to Belgium, where I live as I had no passport. I am using an agency in Victoria to obtain the new passport. It seems that the passport office cannot find my original application form issued by the Belgian Embassy 10 years ago. I have a Belgian Residency card but not a Belgian ID Card It seems that I have the right to live in both countries but not travel between the two counties.
    How can I solve this European problem?

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    Two weeks ago on wednesday I applied for a British passport renewal, as the old one is dammaged and expires in December, using the 5 day fast service. Last weekend I was unable to go back to Belgium, where I live as I had no passport. I am using an agency in Victoria to obtain the new passport. It seems that the passport office cannot find my original application form issued by the Belgian Embassy 10 years ago. I have a Belgian Residency card but not a Belgian ID Card It seems that I have the right to live in both countries but not travel between the two counties.
    Will the Belgian consulate issue you with temporary travel documents to get back to Belgium given UK is non Schengen?

Comment

Are you in the UK? If so you can go to a passport office and get a passport same day. Costs £80 but worth it.

Also if you do a lot of travelling you can get two passports issued. I have two so I can travel on one and have another in a safe place in case I loose it.

Comment

Tried one day service

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Are you in the UK? If so you can go to a passport office and get a passport same day. Costs £80 but worth it.

Also if you do a lot of travelling you can get two passports issued. I have two so I can travel on one and have another in a safe place in case I loose it.
        I tried the one day service but they turned me away as they claimed my passport was damaged ( My details and photo not damaged) . I went to Canada on holiday last month without any problems.
        I have used a passport service and paid £124 for a 5 day service and it was supposed to be available last week. The passport office claims that they need to contact the Paris Embassy who are not answering their e mails

I have a Belgian e residency card which is valid in Belgium and in the Schengen area
        I dont think that I can travel on my Permanent resident card

Comment

I tried the one day service but they turned me away as they claimed my passport was damaged ( My details and photo not damaged) . I went to Canada on holiday last month without any problems.
          I have used a passport service and paid £124 for a 5 day service and it was supposed to be available last week. The passport office claims that they need to contact the Paris Embassy who are not answering their e mails

I have a Belgian e residency card which is valid in Belgium and in the Schengen area
          I dont think that I can travel on my Permanent resident card
          I don't know if this is completely up to date, it doesn't include the residency permit as an adequate document for entry.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/scheng..._documents.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            I don't know if this is completely up to date, it doesn't include the residency permit as an adequate document for entry.

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/scheng..._documents.pdf
            I might get away with getting into or out of Belgium but I would not get pass French control at Kings Cross or British control
            in Brussels

Comment

So your living in Belgium on a UK passport ...... what have the french got to do with it.

Just go back for the 1 day service and apply for a second passport. Tell them your first is in for visas. You'll need a letter from your employer explaining you need to travel for a business purpose and need a second passport.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                So your living in Belgium on a UK passport ...... what have the french got to do with it.

Just go back for the 1 day service and apply for a second passport. Tell them your first is in for visas. You'll need a letter from your employer explaining you need to travel for a business purpose and need a second passport.
                The eurostar goes through France and the passport control at Kings Cross is French not Belgian

The 1 day service is only available for renewals and I cannot tell them that it is in for visas as the passport office currently are sitting with my first passport

Comment

Passport arrived last week

After a weeks delay my passport was issued so I went home at last

Comment

Nice one BS. Good to hear its resolved.

Comment

Working...
                    X