• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

**termination with no notice - breach of contract**court case *help needed*

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I think her plan was to empty the company's accounts before going to court.
    Losing the case means closing the company.
    Im not certain that will wash with the learned judge. Deliberately emptying the co accounts would be pointless as she is also a director of the co and so responsible for the financial status of the co.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out though.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Im not certain that will wash with the learned judge. Deliberately emptying the co accounts would be pointless as she is also a director of the co and so responsible for the financial status of the co
      And what will the learned judge do? Order the director to be held personally liable? Pretty unlikely unless there has been criminal misconduct, which there hasn't been in this case.

Loads of businesses go bust owing money and the creditors can't do bugger all about it.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        And what will the learned judge do? Order the director to be held personally liable? Pretty unlikely unless there has been criminal misconduct, which there hasn't been in this case.

Loads of businesses go bust owing money and the creditors can't do bugger all about it.
        Someone's not being that clever. If the case is brought by KittyCat, rather than KittyCat and Co Ltd, then KittyCat will be liable for any award of damages and costs should she lose. If against KittyCat and Co Ltd, whose directors have demonstrably emptied the company's coffers immediately before bringing the case - which is easily demonstrated - then the directors will be done for behaving fraudulently or trading while insolvent (since CT monies will have been included unless KC is really clever and we have little evidence of that to date), and the corporate debt passed down. Either one leaves KC liable personally

Picking up another point, PCG won't touch this with a bargepole, on the facts presented to date, since the only likely outcome is to make clients more averse to using contractors that they can't get rid of without incurring significnat costs, which is not why they hrire them in the first place.

All in all, it's a bit of a buggers's muddle, isn't it...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          If against KittyCat and Co Ltd, whose directors have demonstrably emptied the company's coffers immediately before bringing the case - which is easily demonstrated - then the directors will be done for behaving fraudulently or trading while insolvent (since CT monies will have been included unless KC is really clever and we have little evidence of that to date), and the corporate debt passed down. Either one leaves KC liable personally
          It's an interesting case all right.

My impression is that a director could pay off their creditors (including CT to HMRC) and pay out the remaining funds as a dividend to the shareholders and would then be untouchable if the case went against them.

I know a few people who have been awarded a judgement of 10's of thousands against companies which then ceased trading. They ended up getting nothing and their legal counsel told them they were flogging a dead horse trying to pursue the ex-directors of the company even though they went on to phoenix company and were trading again under a very similar name the very next day. Apparently it's technically possible to get a company reinstated and to hold a company director liable, but the reality is that this would be very rare indeed and would happen only in serious fraud cases where there are large amounts of money (eg, millions) involved.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Oh, I agree it's highly unlikely. Wasn't an agency accused of doing this a few years back. Took 700K out just before company tanked - leaving contractors out of pocket - and they were told there was nothing they could do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Oh, I agree it's highly unlikely. Wasn't an agency accused of doing this a few years back. Took 700K out just before company tanked - leaving contractors out of pocket - and they were told there was nothing they could do about it.
              Yep, and they're still trading. With the same website and 95% of the same content and all of the same business model. And people are still using them...

That's the other side of the coin, of course. All I'm describing earlier is the worst case scenario; the chances of it going like that aren't that high but it could happen. You can't guarantee you'll be able to divorce yourself totally from your Ltd Co's actions.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

On the emptying the money from the company matter.

She isn't doing anything wrong. There is currently no debt, she is not trading whilst insolvent.

I am sure you could argue she is being a responsible director by protecting the shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                  I am sure you could argue she is being a responsible director by protecting the shareholders.
                  A responsible director would have taken legal advice before exposing the company to the massive risk of getting hammered for costs on the case.

To get this far without speaking to a lawyer is madness. To do so without any form of insurance is doubly so.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    A responsible director would have taken legal advice before exposing the company to the massive risk of getting hammered for costs on the case.

To get this far without speaking to a lawyer is madness. To do so without any form of insurance is doubly so.
                    Yes, I considered those points.

However from a responsibility point of view shouldn't a dirctor fight to secure revenue owed?

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                      Yes, I considered those points.

However from a responsibility point of view shouldn't a dirctor fight to secure revenue owed?
                      A directors fiduciary duty should ensure they do fight - but only on a risk weighted basis, i.e. with a reasonable prospect of success.

Comment

Working...
                      X