• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Directors Loan Account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Afraid not - if profit is available but you don't take it it doesn't count as you giving anything to the company, so it's not a repayment in any way.
    ok, so IF i pay the company, say £2k - this then goes on to the balance sheet as a credit which in turns then equals Profit.

I can then pay that profit as dividends?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
      ok, so IF i pay the company, say £2k - this then goes on to the balance sheet as a credit which in turns then equals Profit.

I can then pay that profit as dividends?
      No, profit is sales less expenses. Anything you pay into the company is a balance sheet transaction, meaning it won't effect profit.

If you're looking to reduce the loan then simply pay that £2,000 into the company bank account. That will act as repayment. Whether or not you can pay dividends then depends on profits.

I'd suggest talking this through with your accountant, it sounds like you could do with having a longer (and more diverse) chat about profits, loans and dividends.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
      X