• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The next step

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those new rules are pretty draconian. If they come into force, would anyone still risk it?
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      HMRC believes that the scheme does not deliver the claimed tax advantage.
      Might as well just list every scheme then.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Might as well just list every scheme then.
        Would it be enough to stop you? If word "scheme" describes what you do then it should be listed.

I can't help but think that 5+ years jail sentences would be the only possible deterrent that might actually work.

They are just trying their best to create civil deterrents - be grateful they are not seriously contemplating lengthy jail sentences which you'd probably get in USA as IRS takes tax collection far more seriously.

Focus on growing your business instead and you'll have more net money in your pockets without having to fear long hand of the law that will get you sooner or later (with bigger penalties).
        Last edited by AtW; 23 August 2011, 18:07.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Would it be enough to stop you? If word "scheme" describes what you do then it should be listed.

I can't help but think that 5+ years jail sentences would be the only possible deterrent that might actually work.

They are just trying their best to create civil deterrents - be grateful they are not seriously contemplating lengthy jail sentences which you'd probably get in USA as IRS takes tax collection far more seriously.

Focus on growing your business instead and you'll have more net money in your pockets without having to fear long hand of the law that will get you sooner or later (with bigger penalties).
          Hmm … wonder what the penalty is for using their logo while offering tax opinions on internet forums is?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            Hmm … wonder what the penalty is for using their logo while offering tax opinions on internet forums is?
            Death in Lybia until very recently, makes one grateful for much milder civilised laws applied in this country, eh?

Comment

Death in Lybia until very recently, makes one grateful for much milder civilised laws applied in this country, eh?
              Tsk - your avatar seems to have changed from an HMRC logo to a tyrant, within a minute or so of my last post! Some of us would feel that's a bigger step than others would. You like getting a reaction, don't you? Seemed like a pointless exercise in stirring it up to me - that wasn't making a point, that was being provocative for the sake of it. I'm a bit surprised at the mods allowing it, tbh, I'd have thought it possibly illegal - but then they're not Jesus either.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                I'd have thought it possibly illegal - but then they're not Jesus either.
                I am happy to confirm that I am not Jesus either, there is no need to crusify me!

As for HMRC logo then your point of view on it is questionable given the context of this forum, however I prefer to play safe with such things - my points of view stand though, whether you like them or not.

I am not interested in getting reaction from you, just expressing my views that's all.

Comment

I don't know if this was intended as a personal dig but for the record I haven't used a scheme for 7 years.

What I've been doing in recent years couldn't be any more compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    What I've been doing in recent years couldn't be any more compliant.
                    Good to hear!

"You" in the context of my message was meant to sound like "one of those people who use schemes to cut down taxation massively".

btw - HMRC is a registered trademark (specifically in class 25 - Clothing; footwear; headgear; official uniforms.). OnYourBikeGB seems to be pretty sharp on IP issues, watch out before he accuses you of something. Just trying to be helpful here.
                    Last edited by AtW; 23 August 2011, 20:11.

Comment

I am happy to confirm that I am not Jesus either, there is no need to crusify me!

As for HMRC logo then your point of view on it is questionable given the context of this forum, however I prefer to play safe with such things - my points of view stand though, whether you like them or not.

I am not interested in getting reaction from you, just expressing my views that's all.
                      I neither like nor dislike your opinions, like DR I have not used any scheme for many years. I simply believe that each individual has a right to arrange their own tax affairs as the law allows. You believe that people should go to jail if they don't follow the one size fits all rule. That's just a difference of opinion. Mine's rational, yours is jingoistic tub-thumping, but I respect your right to hold them.

Incidentally, DR, you're safe from any IP litigation (unlike those who pose under their badge while handing out tax opinions). I believe that as it's in the correct context, your avatar is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                      X