• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT treatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT treatment

Hi All,

I have earned £3000 VAT on services provided. I have paid £2400 as VAT under flat rate scheme and at additional 1% discount for new business.

My Accountant is treating the VAT gain of £600 to my total turnover. Is this right treatment? Can someone guide or provide to HMRC link where I can confirm that my accountant's treatment is correct?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Originally posted by maverick18 View Post
    Hi All,

I have earned £3000 VAT on services provided. I have paid £2400 as VAT under flat rate scheme and at additional 1% discount for new business.

My Accountant is treating the VAT gain of £600 to my total turnover. Is this right treatment? Can someone guide or provide to HMRC link where I can confirm that my accountant's treatment is correct?

Many Thanks in advance
    Yes I think that's correct, it's a profit so therefore is liable for CT. Wait for the experts tho...

Comment

Yep, that is correct. The 'profit' you make from being on the flat rate scheme is taxable through the business. Take a look at;
      VAT: flat rate scheme
      2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
      || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

You could try either of the following two products - they both handle the VAT Flat Rate Scheme:

Earnings Tracker - free

My Bookkeeping Manager - £1

Comment

Originally posted by maverick18 View Post
          Hi All,

My Accountant is treating the VAT gain of £600 to my total turnover. Is this right treatment? Can someone htmuide or provide to HMRC link where I can confirm that my accountant's treatment is correct?

Many Thanks in advance
          Hi That is the correct treatment. But try this link as it has all you need to know about the flat rate scheme

HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT

Comment

Working...
          X