• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oyster card and expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oyster card and expenses

Daft question that i think i already know the answer to, just need to confirmation.

I'll be getting an Oyster card shortly and using it for LU travel, topping up with £40 every few weeks (from the Ltd Co's debit card)

WRT company expenses, do i just list a claim for (a) £40 every few weeks, or (b) for every journey i make with the Oyster card (£1.90).

Thinking (a) ?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

You can go on the TFL website and get a list of journeys and deductions. I simply print this off at the end of a month and claim it as an expense. I top up the card from my personal account and treat it as a receipted cash expenditure (edit: a clarification, the journeys and deductions printout is claimed, not the top-up).

I'd suggest you treat it the same way unless you're 100% sure you're never going to use it for personal use.
    Last edited by craig1; 8 August 2011, 12:27.

Comment

I'd never use it for personal journeys.

Thinking about it, my ltd co's bank account would show £40 every few weeks, so i suppose option (a) would be best for me.

Cheers for the info on the print out of journeys/deductions. I suppose there would be no harm in printing this off at every top-up for the records.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        I'd never use it for personal journeys.

Thinking about it, my ltd co's bank account would show £40 every few weeks, so i suppose option (a) would be best for me.

Cheers for the info on the print out of journeys/deductions. I suppose there would be no harm in printing this off at every top-up for the records.
        Be aware, TFL only keeps records for eight weeks, that's why I ensure I print a monthly statement. Leave it any longer than that and you might have a hard time explaining Oyster card usage if there's a query.

Edit: Also, not sure if you're aware but you can put travelcards on Oyster cards if you're intending to spend that much money.
        Last edited by craig1; 8 August 2011, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          Be aware, TFL only keeps records for eight weeks, that's why I ensure I print a monthly statement. Leave it any longer than that and you might have a hard time explaining Oyster card usage if there's a query.
          Cool.

Also, not sure if you're aware but you can put travelcards on Oyster cards if you're intending to spend that much money.
          My bad... "a few weeks" should be "10 weeks"

Comment

Edit: Also, not sure if you're aware but you can put travelcards on Oyster cards if you're intending to spend that much money.
            I looked into the cost of an oyster travelcard compared to auto topup / PAYG, compared to adding a TravelCard onto a national rail ticket.

Can't recall the specifics, but lets just say I found that you would need to make a LOT of oyster journeys to make their travelcard cost effective - e.g. 3 or 4 journeys each day, 7 days a week.

Comment

Oyster Card

I roughly spend £80 per month on the tube – Kings Cross to London Bridge.

I Just stick it all on auto-top-up through my company and then, like my mileage log, write up the journeys (which are generally the same each day!).

Looked at getting a travelcard and they are only really of value to tourists who will be using the tube repeatedly in the day.

The report out of TFL is U-G-L-Y and to this dumb northerner, damned complicated!!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
                The report out of TFL is U-G-L-Y and to this dumb northerner, damned complicated!!
                It's ugly and fairly user-unfriendly but it's the official printout format meaning it's far less of a hassle if there's a HMRC expenses audit.

Comment

This thread reminded me that I was overdue to collect my Oyster journey history report - and I discovered that the interface has changed - now there is no "show me everything" option, only a week-by-week select element, which is pretty inconvenient if you ask me. Fortunately you can still get to the old interface and they are inviting feedback, so I'll ask for a wider date range to be available for the likes of us.

...and sadly (but reassuringly, I guess) they aren't using naive cgi parameters so we can't just fiddle with "datestart" and "dateend"... they just have option values 1 through to 7 for each of the preceeding weeks, or -1 for the last week... so I think we should all fill in their feedback form!
                  Last edited by matzie; 9 August 2011, 07:29.

Comment

You know you can get an emailed statement? You go to Help, Complaints, Oyster, Statement or something like that, put in your card number and they email you a few days later. I just do that every couple of weeks.

Bike hire statements, now that one's harder to manage

Comment

Working...
                    X