• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asmg

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. They have been "in voluntary liquidation" since summer of 07. They have started a new company with the same (or similar) scheme, personnel - same premesis in barbican as well I think. They emailed me at that time to inform me - I actually joined the new company but didn't use it as my contract with then clientco only allowed me to use limited or 4 standard umbrellas. Just so happened that I never went back to them.....

Their argreement with DMS (the tax advisors- dealing with HMRC) is still in place. In fact, DMS have been updating me and answering my queries since Jan 08 to date.....So the support structure ASMG have to deal with HMRC is in place and working.

Comment

What about these?

Okay so AS(IOM) have gone into liquidation.

Does anyone know what happened to Marra Solutions? I was moved onto them after ASIOM. Then about 3 months before I left ASMG I was moved to Kirium Employment Solutions.

I have tried email contacting both of these with no luck, the emails just disappear into a black hole much like the emails I send to ASMG. Even if you put a delivery receipt/read reciept you get nothing back!

What I don't understand (and I'm sorry to whinge ) is how some people who are/were with ASMG seem to be getting information through DMS or whoever yet I am not on anyone's radar despite having had contracts with ASMG, ASIOM, Marra, Kirium and through these DMS, Tenon and another called Streets. Talk about falling through the cracks!

Comment

Originally posted by GwimWeeper View Post
        Well that's it for March. The Sempra Metals case on which so much depends was apparently heard in March. Does anyone know what happened in the course of the hearings and when we/anyone can expect a ruling?

And another thought: if Hector loses this, is it feasible that they will appeal? What laws are there to stop Hector from appealing again and again and dragging this on and on for years?
        Just got an update from DMS...apparently the sempra case never got to the High court!!

Which means that the Special Commissioners decision that the loans could not be recharacterised as earnings stands. This is the second time the SP has decided against HMRC on this matter.

DMS are now requesting HMRC to close the enquiry.

HMRC has themselves earlier stated that the ASMG enquiry is waiting for a decision on the sempra case, but since that is not being appealed, I'm not sure what else HMRC may come back with now.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
          Just got an update from DMS...apparently the sempra case never got to the High court!!

Which means that the Special Commissioners decision that the loans could not be recharacterised as earnings stands. This is the second time the SP has decided against HMRC on this matter.

HMRC has themselves earlier stated that the ASMG enquiry is waiting for a decision on the sempra case, but since that is not being appealed, I'm not sure what else HMRC may come back with now.
          I thought the appeal was on the 10th/11th March and judgment is still awaited?

I believe at issue was also the point as to whether CT relief could be obtained on the payments into the trust. Can't find anything more up to date though.

Comment

Thats what I mean, apparently the Sempra appeal never went to the high court....

The CT issue is relevant to sempra only, it doesn't impact the ASMG scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post

Hopefully, HMRC will now close the enquiries relating to this. They've lost twice now!

Comment

I wouldn't hold my breath on Hector closing the enquiry just like that. They will probably drag it out for a while.....just because they can. They have not had any communications about progressing the enquiry with ASMG for over 12 months, so I wouldn't be suprised if this goes on for another 12 months.

Comment

Statute of limitations?

Isn't there some kind of law or at least a legal framework/guideline to limit Hector on how long they can 'enquire'?

I know there is a 1 year limit on a self-assessment for how long they have to START an enquiry. But surely they can't run this enquiry indefinitely?

What I mean is, if they can't get a decision they want can they drag this on for 1 year, 5 years or 10 years or more? How long do they have once they start before they must END an enquiry (whether it is favourable to them or not).
                  Last edited by GwimWeeper; 30 April 2009, 13:59. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by GwimWeeper View Post
                    Isn't there some kind of law or at least a legal framework/guideline to limit Hector on how long they can 'enquire'?

I know there is a 1 year limit on a self-assessment for how long they have to START an enquiry. But surely they can't run this enquiry indefinitely?

What I mean is, if they can't get a decision they want can they drag this on for 1 year, 5 years or 10 years or more? How long do they have once they start before they must END an enquiry (whether it is favourable to them or not).
                    My understanding is that once open, it can remain open until HMRC decide to close it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong about this!

Comment

Good question....would love to say there is a time limit, but I think dezze is right.

Had a quick search on the web, can't find anything about how long an enquiry can be open for.

Comment

Working...
                      X