• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Change expenses which have not been reimbursed"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Change expenses which have not been reimbursed"

Hi,

Just trying to fill in the part of my Self Assessment, and there's something i'm not understanding.

During last tax year (2010/11), business expenses that i paid out of my own pocket totalled £4140. This amount has been reimbursed to me.

So, on the "Taxable benefits and expenses" page, i enter £4140 (in the "Expenses payments received and balancing charges" box).

On the next page, "Employment expenses", i enter the same amount £4140 into the "Business travel and subsistence expenses" box.

Is that correct? If so, why (when i go back to part to Check Progress), the link to go back to entering "Employment expenses" is labelled "Change expenses which have not been reimbursed".

I'm a bit concerned about the "have not been reimbursed" part.

Anyone?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Correct

What you have done is correct. The two expense categories offset each other so that your overall personal tax calculation is unaffected by the inclusion of these expenses.

As for the "Change expenses which have not been reimbursed" part - it has been a while since I have used the HMRC online filing software, but from memory I believe this is just a poor choice of words the HMRC used in their software to refer to the employment expenses.
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Thanks Greg, at least i now i'm not going insane anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by GregCapitalCity View Post
        I believe this is just a poor choice of words the HMRC used
        Surely, you're not suggesting that HMRC have made a poor choice in something? And there was me thinking that they were the pinnacle of excellence in all things.

Comment

If they are genuine business expenses like mileage / trains / taxis / hotel, they are not really "Taxable benefits and expenses" as there is no tax due ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
            If they are genuine business expenses like mileage / trains / taxis / hotel, they are not really "Taxable benefits and expenses" as there is no tax due ?
            Yes, i was confused by this at first, but now i take it to mean that the "expenses" part of the sentence doesn't imply "taxable". So IMO it means;

1) Taxable benefits
            and
            2) expenses (not taxable)

Comment

Correct. You are putting the expense information in the right area, its just those user friendly HMRC headings that can cause some confusion.
              2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
              || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Working...
              X