• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    Letter to the Treasury Committee - got same reply yesterday - and also to David Gauke.

One little clause this afternoon is ALL we need!
    There is usually a delay between the budget statement and the publication of the draft finance bill. It is likely that we will have to encourage our MPs to make an ammendment to this draft.

Don't expect anything to be announced today, but do use it as an oppertunity to have contact with your MP.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
      Hey, SF. Good luck with that. Hollobone is my MP too and the to**ser hasn't replied to any of my emails or letters....
      ..perhaps he keeps his expenses low by never doing any work.
      Based on my ££££ train fares into London, he must never travel into Parliament either!

Nice to hear from someone else in rural Northamptonshire in the same boat up the same stream, trying to find a paddle!

Comment

HMRC Procedures

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Just heard from another person who has had a Closure Notice withdrawn because HMRC hadn't issued a prior enquiry notice.

He had to chase them endlessly to get a result. If he hadn't persevered he could have ended up paying £xxxxx that HMRC weren't lawfully entitled to.

Perseverence is the key.
        Hi DR

I assume in most instances, scheme users forwarded MontP all communications they recieved from HMRC - I certainly sent all mine on. Based on the contents and dates of these correspondents, could MontP not identify other Scheme users that have this ground for appeal as per the above case ?

To me its all a bit of a minefield, and I have a rather large file of letters etc, most of which did not start showing up until post 2008 ( I started on scheme in 2003). I'd like to see MontP use their expertise in helping identifying other individuals that have this ground for appeal. Ideally they could communicate their intention to undertake this task, or do they wait to recieve 3000 individual requests ?

Cheers

Mad

PS Letter to MP (Richard Ottaway) sent - awaiting response and hopefully F2F meeting. Did refer him to the Treasure Committee chairman.

Comment

Strange.........

Hector sent my LtdCo a PAYE notice of coding yesterday. Code 'D0'. Stone me!! 40% on EVERYTHING! Is this related to the appealed CN's do you think?

Oh - and a heavyweight letter sent to my MP with request for meeting. Also confirmed in an email.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
            Hey, SF. Good luck with that. Hollobone is my MP too and the to**ser hasn't replied to any of my emails or letters....
            ..perhaps he keeps his expenses low by never doing any work.
            Phone his surgery and chase it up.

I did with my MP and turned out he had already forwarded my letter to the Treasury committee.

btw, lets keep things polite on here. You never know when your MP may come across this forum.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

A mountain of paperwork!

Just going through all the paperwork I've ever received from HMRC.

I noticed that for my 2004/2005 tax return, I received a letter dated 15th January 2007 in which it said "enquiries are ongoing".

Is this enquiry within time limits?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

I noticed that for my 2004/2005 tax return, I received a letter dated 15th January 2007 in which it said "enquiries are ongoing".

I think the standard window is 1 year after due date, so due date would have been 31st Jan 2006, so window is open upto 31st Jan 2007. So i think you are just out there, mind you i'm sure they could come up with some excuse to have stretched that out if they wanted to

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
                  There is usually a delay between the budget statement and the publication of the draft finance bill. It is likely that we will have to encourage our MPs to make an ammendment to this draft.

Don't expect anything to be announced today, but do use it as an oppertunity to have contact with your MP.
                  Does anyone expect the 'unacceptable' stamp duty avoidance schemes to be closed down retrospectively in today's budget?
                  Last edited by PlaneSailing; 21 March 2012, 12:51. Reason: Quote G Osborne

Comment

Help needed

It is my understanding that there are 3,000 people affected by S58. From previous posts and so on I hear that 1,300 of those are through MontP, and 300 through Steed.

This only totals about half of those stated by HMRC to have used this scheme. So who are the promoters that have been in hiding/gone out of business?

Who else was marketing it?

I think I heard of an outfit called TwentyTwenty. Any more info on them? Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

That doesnt sound like a formal enquiry letter. If in doubt just send them a letter asking for a copy of the letters opening your enquiries:

See http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1439979 and the posts just afterwards.
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X