• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xmas time

Santa ... surely time to dust off the xmas avatar's

HMRC are probably getting the xmas cards ready

..hello HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
      Santa ... surely time to dust off the xmas avatar's

HMRC are probably getting the xmas cards ready

..hello HMRC
      I'm still searching for a tonne of manure to dump down their chimney.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post

Phew... A posting, started to think the forum had been taken off line.
        MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Maybe we could hold a protest march and lay a wreath at their door? Or even a reef if anyone has any limestone...

Comment

I know of a Donkey in a field with a nice coat that could probably help...
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Occupy HMRC.

Of course the public empathy would be zero. But hey. Why not.

Comment

Timescales

I have been doing a bit of research on timescales in the Supreme Court.

The Gaines Cooper case is probably a good comparison.

They applied in March 2010 and got permission in July 2010 (after 4 months). Their hearing was in July 2010 (a further 12 months). The decision was handed down in October 2011 (another 3 months).

The whole process took 19 months from start to finish.

On that basis, assuming we get the green light, I would expect us to get a final decision around Spring 2013.

This gives plenty of time to make contingency plans.
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 24 November 2011, 14:18.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  I have been doing a bit of research on timescales in the Supreme Court.

The Gaines Cooper case is probably a good comparison.

They applied in March 2010 and got permission in July 2010 (after 4 months). Their hearing was in July 2010 (a further 12 months). The decision was handed down in October 2011 (another 3 months).

The whole process took 19 months from start to finish.

On that basis, assuming we get the green light, I would expect us to get a final decision around Spring 2013.

This gives plenty of time to make contingency plans.
                  Stupid question - if we lose (not that I think we will - but with judges being so corrupt who can be sure), will closure notices become enforceable?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    ...but with judges being so corrupt who can be sure....
                    I'm fascinated by the above snippet from your post.

Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Stupid question - if we lose ... will closure notices become enforceable?
                      No.

The appeals of our CNs would still need to go through the normal tax tribunal appeals process.

Moreover, if you look at the grounds of appeal cited by MontP on the CNs it was not just Human Rights. It is MontP's contention that the drafting of s58 does not achieve its objective and therefore does not apply to us. This would need to be decided in the lower tax court with possible appeal to the upper tax court and beyond.

You could be looking at 2014, and this doesn't include a possible appeal by either Montp and/or PwC to Europe.

Furthermore, there is still the Steed/KPMG case pending in Strasbourg.

Personally, I'm not ruling out the possibility of being 6 feet under before this comes to an end.

Comment

Working...
                      X