• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prozak View Post
    especially if there is not currently a debt with HMRC.
    HMRC have issued Closure Notices with amendments to virtually everyone and these have been appealed.

I'm not sure how these would be viewed in a debt context.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
      Precisely.

especially if there is not currently a debt with HMRC.
      When you examine the finer details of trusts ect. their is very little difference in use for asset protection and use for IHT purposes the critical thing to check is the status at the time of the execution of a transfer

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        There is already a thread for the loan schemes.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...er-trusts.html
        yet but I like the guest list here !! ..

.. i like the fact this thread came from the montpellier world and my feeling is majority of folks are MTM clients .... so might naturally follow ...(also saves me having to follow 2 long conversations) ...

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
          ...(also saves me having to follow 2 long conversations) ...
          It won't be a big headache for you as the EBT thread is almost dormant. Last post was 24 August.

I too have always avoided 'Loan' based schemes. The risk is in the title - Loan! I was disappointed to discover that I went into a Loan scheme with MTM some months before I was aware. Oh well, just a drop in Hector's ocean.

Comment

Interesting article on Huitson

Thanks to the person who passed this on to me.

It is the first commentary I've read which raises any questions about the Court's decision.

Well worth a read.

Hard cases | Tax Adviser

Comment

plans

After several months of daily visits to this and the previous BN66 thread, I thought I'd dip a toe in.........please be gentle!

I spent several years in the MP scheme so have a "debt" of £150k+ .......stopped worrying about it years ago to be truthful - but am interested to here what others are doing to mitigate the situation between now and when (if) it eventually goes south ie. inheritance tax planning, etc,.....

COBBLERS

Comment

It is the first commentary I've read which raises any questions about the Court's decision.

Well worth a read.

Hard cases | Tax Adviser
                Some sense at last, pity he is not an SC judge though it will make a compelling argument if used by MP's counsel

Comment

Well worth a read.

Hard cases | Tax Adviser
                  brilliant commentary and I suspect MP will be all over this like a cheap suit. There are some real nuggets in there that are difficult to argue (for a simpleton like me anyway )

Comment

Well worth a read.

Hard cases | Tax Adviser
                    interesting, maybe MP should bring him into the legal team for the SC.

thought this summed it up quite well:

People often use a football analogy by referring to someone moving the goalposts. This was more akin to the rules of the game being rewritten long after the final whistle.

Comment

Well worth a read.

Hard cases | Tax Adviser
                      Somneone needs to shout this article from the rooftops, wave it in front of each of our "learned" judges' noses and take out a full page advert in the Telegraph to publicise it.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X