• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alba View Post
    Received letter today from my local MP as follows:

"Thank you for your email of 27 March regarding Section S58(4) of the Finance Act 2008.

I am currently in conversation with colleagues about potential steps we can take to persuade the Treasury to reverse the retrospective element of Section 58.

When I have more information I shall be back in touch."
    I expect The Treasury will be asking HMRC to explain themselves more fully than they did in 2008.

However, HMRC are not easily going to let go of this - so we must all do what we can to keep the issue right up there in MPs minds.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

MP Visit

Off to see my MP on Monday... here's hoping.....

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Ahem!

"People are only just starting to get to grips with full implications of what is happening," said a source with knowledge of the situation.
        Its the same here...........write, write, write, to your MP

Comment

Seeing your MP? PLEASE tell us

Dear everyone - if you are about to see your MP or have booked a meeting etc please please please advertise the fact on this forum as early as possible so that you can be PM'd some useful proven guidance and advice.
          Join the campaign at
          http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Alba View Post
            Received letter today from my local MP as follows:

"Thank you for your email of 27 March regarding Section S58(4) of the Finance Act 2008.

I am currently in conversation with colleagues about potential steps we can take to persuade the Treasury to reverse the retrospective element of Section 58.

When I have more information I shall be back in touch."
            More A nice lift for the weekend indeed. Well done!

Comment

Excellent feedback from many member's MPs on this forum.

The light is starting to appear at the end of the tunnel.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
                Dear everyone - if you are about to see your MP or have booked a meeting etc please please please advertise the fact on this forum as early as possible so that you can be PM'd some useful proven guidance and advice.
                Have written to my MP and am actively seeking a face to face at his surgery, so please can the relevant people PM me the 'useful proven guidance and advice' in advance.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by trharris View Post
                  Have written to my MP and am actively seeking a face to face at his surgery, so please can the relevant people PM me the 'useful proven guidance and advice' in advance.

TIA
                  PM sent.

Comment

Reply from MP

Here is the response I received from my MP (Labour) yesterday. Probably the most encouraging correspondence I have had in the last 4 years. I am planning to go to his next surgery in a couple of weeks time. I believe there are other documents which may help with this meeting can someone please PM me the documents? Thanks.

30 March 2012

Dear

Thank you for your recent letter concerning HMRC and your tax situation.

Firstly, I would like to express my sympathy for the very difficult circumstances which you and your wife are facing and the precarious financial situation it leaves you in.

Introducing retrospective measures on taxation is very often problematic and can serve to undermine confidence in the taxation system, which is clearly the case with your own situation. As I was not a Member of Parliament at the time the legislation was passed, I am obviously not familiar with all of the background and context to the changes and why they were made by the Government at that time.

However, I will certainly write to David Gauke as you request and highlight the points that you have raised concerning the legislation and his own position on it at the time it was considered in Parliament.

I will also discuss this issue with colleagues who have expressed an interest in the matter and try and identify the best route for taking forward further enquiries in Parliament on the subject. If the Treasury Select Committee is already looking at the Barclays case, it may be prepared to explore the issue more widely, or a backbench business debate may offer a suitable means of debating the issue.

Thanks again for raising with me your concerns about this important issue and please be assured of my continued support.

Yours sincerely”

Comment

Keep on writing

If you needed a reason to write/meet your MP, read the previous post.

We are even getting very positive and supportive responses from Labour MPs.

MPs seem genuinely shocked at the scale and impact of this retro tax.

Comment

Working...
                      X