• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jill Kirby Article - comments

Wow, I did not get a chance to read all the comments from the Jill Kirby article till now.

By reading them it paints a picture of the public disgusted with what the govt is doing, and that's just to Barclays.
    Just think what they would say based on our situation and the unjust methods we have been put through.

I think at some point if this all comes to heed, I have a good mind of fighting these basta$ds to the death rather than hand over the money. I know what they did was not legal, and I don't give a tulip what this govt / tax man has to say about it. I hope a few of us will stand up to it all in the end, even if it goes all the way in the papers and we get our story out to the public. In the end I cannot see how the public wont side with what the govt / HMRC has done

Comment

Jill Kirby Article

Originally posted by stuffed View Post
      Wow, I did not get a chance to read all the comments from the Jill Kirby article till now.

By reading them it paints a picture of the public disgusted with what the govt is doing, and that's just to Barclays.
      Just think what they would say based on our situation and the unjust methods we have been put through.

I think at some point if this all comes to heed, I have a good mind of fighting these basta$ds to the death rather than hand over the money. I know what they did was not legal, and I don't give a tulip what this govt / tax man has to say about it. I hope a few of us will stand up to it all in the end, even if it goes all the way in the papers and we get our story out to the public. In the end I cannot see how the public wont side with what the govt / HMRC has done

I totally agree but I don't think we have time to wait for the fight to the death now is the time to fight. This is big news at the moment and a good time to find that sympathetic journalist. We should all be contacting any journalist that we see comment on the Barclays situation and making them aware of our plight. I know many may say it i will be pointless but it only takes one.

Comment

Other journalists

Originally posted by Goinroamin View Post
        I totally agree but I don't think we have time to wait for the fight to the death now is the time to fight. This is big news at the moment and a good time to find that sympathetic journalist. We should all be contacting any journalist that we see comment on the Barclays situation and making them aware of our plight. I know many may say it i will be pointless but it only takes one.
        I have a google alert for retrospective tax. Used to mainly just get the obscure Vodafone India issue.
        It has now gone crazy with Barclays articles, so here is some writers who might be worth contacting.
        In addition in watching the Sky Interview last night they had a tax expert that claimed that no retrospective UK tax laws had been put through since the 1970's. Probably worth clarifying our situation with him.

here are some more that are writing about it, that are not in the mainstream:

Lawyers slam retrospective Barclays tax | City A.M.

Tax avoidance scheme closure will have retrospective effect, Treasury says

Director of Finance Online - Blogs - The Edge » Blog Archive » Backdating tax is bad

UK corporates could face an anti-avoidance tax law - Economic Impact - Mindful Money

Barclays Responds To Tax Controversy

Comment

Is this not the time to strike while the iron is not?

Can we put together a press release and get it to the press regarding our little 'retrospective issue'

Needs to be done soon (next week or so) before it moves out of public perception.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
            Is this not the time to strike while the iron is not?

Can we put together a press release and get it to the press regarding our little 'retrospective issue'

Needs to be done soon (next week or so) before it moves out of public perception.
            I am concerned. We cannot even convince our peers in general. Imagine how the public will react. Embracing the media is like grabbing the tiger by its tail.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I am concerned. We cannot even convince our peers in general. Imagine how the public will react. Embracing the media is like grabbing the tiger by its tail.
              What have we got to loose now though? Legal thing has run its course, MP look like they are running out of weapons, what more can happen? HMRC ask us to pay up? Havn't they done that already...
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

CTD

Originally posted by Bewildered View Post
                I purchased a CTD a few years ago, and then found myself in a position where I needed to cash it in. The downside of doing this is that once cashed in, the period that you held the CTD counts for nothing. If I purchase any more CTDs I will make sure I have multiple small denomination certificates rather than a single large certificate. That way, if I need to dip into the deposit, I can do so without losing the entire benefit.
                Thanks for that, was not aware of that, but will follow your advice on this

Dog

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  What have we got to loose now though? Legal thing has run its course, MP look like they are running out of weapons, what more can happen? HMRC ask us to pay up? Havn't they done that already...
                  I agree what have we got to lose?

Comment

No point pontificating on the whats and whys...Email to Jill Kirby sent
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

One other thing I would like to point out is Montpelier have no interest in a political campaign. We should have realised that a long time ago, rather than allowing ourselves to be at the mercy of the judicial system and dragged through the courts.

As others have said, you have absolutely nothing to lose at this point by engaging the press and politicians, even if they turn against you. The fact that there are some sympathetic and receptive journalists out there is brilliant.

The iron is hot - strike now!
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X