• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by futurecat View Post
    Another example of where retrospective tax has not been applied...Am I right in thinking that a Tax Tribunal may provide us with some balance against HMRC?

Tax tribunal allows £17m avoidance scheme | Business | The Guardian
    The sceptical side of me says that now Lloyds is a taxpayer funded bank, the Revenue decided it wouldn't be worth spending taxpayer's money to chase taxpayer's money, as the net result would be zero.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
      Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is already knocking about on the thread somewhere, but does any one have a rough idea (percentage wise) of how to work out what i could owe, based on the figures submitted in the tax returns ? I am going to presume that NI will be applied also, so would just like to get a rough idea on what my bill is likely to be so i can then go out and get drunk tonight and pretend i didn't know.

Cheers
      Your Closure Notices will detail the tax&nic. Alternatively you could register with HMRC online to get these figures.
      https://online.hmrc.gov.uk

You can then use the table at the bottom of the 1st post of this thread to give a good estimate of % accrued interest for each tax year.

Comment

Collection

I was wondering that if HMRC enforce collection at this point and we then go on to win at ECHR, as well as getting our money back would they not be open to a big fat lawsuit.

Up to date, the stress that this situation has caused has been horrendous but if many were to be made bankrupt the situation becomes unimaginable.

Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
          I was wondering that if HMRC enforce collection at this point and we then go on to win at ECHR, as well as getting our money back would they not be open to a big fat lawsuit.

Up to date, the stress that this situation has caused has been horrendous but if many were to be made bankrupt the situation becomes unimaginable.

Any thoughts anyone?
          My guess would be that once the Strasbourg application is submitted, there's a good chance HMRC may be instructed to suspend collection again, until ECHR rules on it. The only reason I think this is that it's too politically dangerous for Osbourne to repeal S58's retrospective element and Strasbourg will effectively bury the issue for a few years at least. This us just a guess though, albeit optimistic.
          Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Originally posted by nick4notax View Post
            My guess would be that once the Strasbourg application is submitted, there's a good chance HMRC may be instructed to suspend collection again, until ECHR rules on it. The only reason I think this is that it's too politically dangerous for Osbourne to repeal S58's retrospective element and Strasbourg will effectively bury the issue for a few years at least. This us just a guess though, albeit optimistic.
            I hope you're right, but Brannigan's letter before Christmas said that if the Supreme Court application fails, it will mark the end of the road.

For those hoping to string this out, and I'm in that camp, i think we need to foget about Europe. Its great that Gittens has stated he'll carry the cost of going to Strasburg, but that still doesn't help me when the baillifs knocking at the door in a few months time.

Just trying to be realistic as I've had my head parked up my arse for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by RingStinger View Post
              I hope you're right, but Brannigan's letter before Christmas said that if the Supreme Court application fails, it will mark the end of the road.

For those hoping to string this out, and I'm in that camp, i think we need to foget about Europe. Its great that Gittens has stated he'll carry the cost of going to Strasburg, but that still doesn't help me when the baillifs knocking at the door in a few months time.

Just trying to be realistic as I've had my head parked up my arse for too long.
              Well I guess we will find out soon.

I can't imagine HMRC suspending collection to wait for the ECHR and in fact it would probably damage our case if they did. The only circumstance I would envisage if MP have some other argument as to why the measures don't affect us which would result in a tribunal. Don't know whether they have but that might keep the wolf from the door for a few months.

At least we are now on notice that a final demand is close which gives us some time to work out what we are going to do - 28 days or whatever they give us to pay up when we receive the demand isn't going to be enough in certain cases to sort something out.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Your Closure Notices will detail the tax&nic. Alternatively you could register with HMRC online to get these figures.
                https://online.hmrc.gov.uk

You can then use the table at the bottom of the 1st post of this thread to give a good estimate of % accrued interest for each tax year.
                Thanks DR, but i haven't actually received a CN yet and it's not updated online either - i guess they couldn't be bothered whilst appeals were in progress so i expect it will be shortly. In any case, i would like to double check the sums when they do appear, not that i don't trust them of course...or would Montpelier actually check them would you know ?

Comment

Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
                  Thanks DR, but i haven't actually received a CN yet and it's not updated online either - i guess they couldn't be bothered whilst appeals were in progress so i expect it will be shortly. In any case, i would like to double check the sums when they do appear, not that i don't trust them of course...or would Montpelier actually check them would you know ?
                  Always wondered how they can justify charging interest when they haven't even told me what i owe, its ludicrous..but then the whole thing is a bad joke.

Comment

JUst reading the HMRC letter - whilst it is good that the have informed us (unlike MP), I dont like the way the letter ends. They advise us to pay up. Surely they should be advising us to seek alternative advise. I have a good mind to write to them with some advise. I will be as fair with them has they have been with me.

Comment

Letter

Still not got my letter - can anyone advise what it says, please?
                      Join the campaign at
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X