• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
    The HR course may have been a distraction whilst MP, PwC et al. put the real case together
    One can hope! I'm also not happy about HMRC forcing collection if this gets raised in Europe.

1 The legal process is on going
    2 Any claims of jeopardy should be ignored as they sat on their hands for years keeping investigations open and leading us down the path of test cases that never happened.

I'm not too convinced of the chances in Europe, but I am more unhappy with the Supreme Courts decision. If a celebrity was caught by this, I bet it would be deemed public interest then.

I also would not be in favour of HMRC trying to fast track any Tax Tribunals. They took their own sweet time getting here. Mind you, lawyers get paid by the hour so I can't see that happening.

Comment

I cant help thinking tax tribunals will be held in even more of a kangaroo court than the COA, SC, etc.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        I cant help thinking tax tribunals will be held in even more of a kangaroo court than the COA, SC, etc.
        Agreed. My faith in the legal system is ebbing away.

Comment

Fighting back

Originally posted by swede View Post
          DR, you have nothing to feel bad about mate, many here including myself would have caved in a long time back without your guidance and knowledge.

I've got a couple of questions to whoever might be able to answer them..

(i) If there are a small number of test cases, presumably a consolidated way of dealing with them would be better than those concerned doing their own thing? (Not having a clue how these things work personally).

(ii) If so, would it be best to take a different angle of approach for each one rather than relying on the same argument for all of them?

(iii) Would we expect MP to be doing this, or do we need to need to get our arses in gear ourselves?
          Agreed. No need to apologise DR, you've done a great job for us all.

MP will handle the tribunals for us. There are different angles depending on individual circumstances, late discovery enquiries, missing closure notices etc.

Presumably now that the word retrospective has been used and the original wording of "clarification" has been ignored by the courts, we should have a very good argument to avoid the interest bill. Surely it would be worth getting on to our members of parliament to complain about retrospective interest on retrospective tax bills ?

Comment

STUNNED

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            I don't know who you spoke to at MP but they have known since the day the decision was announced.

Perhaps they should have sent out a circular immediately but I think they wanted to wait until they had formulated strategy with Counsel.

As soon as I hear anything I will post an update.
            Very disappointed to have found out in this fashion. If the decision was given to MP on 7th Feb you would have thought at least a holding letter would have been sent to inform us of the decision and to await further guidance.

To find out of the decision from HMRC doesn't inspire much confidence.

I sincerely hope that MP will continue to support us. For some people it may be the loss of a nest egg but for many it will mean a loss of home and a means to live.

I particularly sympathise with those who have children who will be devastated by this injustice.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
              Agreed. My faith in the legal system is ebbing away.
              Pleased you had some. I have not had any since my divorce 10 years ago.

This country is not a democracy - you get a choice between 2 parties with almost identical policies. And those parties do what the 1% says. That includes the legal system.

I had thought that as this case got more senior there would be less political influence. I was badly wrong.

Maybe when the kids are older I will do something about it.

Comment

I think if we eventually lose at the Tribunals too then at an absolute minimum the retrosepctive interest will be set aside. The problem being I wouldnt be surprised by anything now following this debacle.

Comment

STUNNED

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  I don't know who you spoke to at MP but they have known since the day the decision was announced.

Perhaps they should have sent out a circular immediately but I think they wanted to wait until they had formulated strategy with Counsel.

As soon as I hear anything I will post an update.
                  I would also like to offer my very grateful thanks to DR who has tirelessly kept everyone involved up to date and kept our spirits up.

I would probably have jumped off of the Erskine Bridge a number of years ago without this.

I don't think that anyone would have expected to be turned down for a hearing at the Supreme Court on this but I kind of get the feeling that the judges have been instructed in their decision on this as they have been in the previous 2 hearings.

The total injustice of this case case blares out at 150 decibels, however, we were not to know that those in the legal system were pre-issued with high quality ear defenders.

Fight to the death with any means possible is the only way forward. Bankruptcy is the end result for me and I'm sure for many others ,however, after collecting my state benefits I am sure that I will have plenty of time to come and add a few lines to this forum which I hope will continue after D Day.

I was going to say that I will become part of the 1 in 10 but I think that figure will be heading toward the 1 in 2 in the way this country is governed.

Comment

Originally posted by ALMAC View Post
                    If the decision was given to MP on 7th Feb you would have thought at least a holding letter would have been sent to inform us of the decision and to await further guidance.

To find out of the decision from HMRC doesn't inspire much confidence.
                    100% agree. Montpelier should have expected Brannigan & Co to be quick off the mark rubbing our noses in it. It's not good that clients are hearing this news from those goons first.

In addition to discussions with Counsel, they are also in contact with PwC and KPMG.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer.

Comment

Once again a big thanks to DR.

One thing that has shocked me is that DR is not very high up in the reputation stakes in CUK. I expected him to be top.

Please find a post for DR and look in the bottom left. You will see a star. Click that and you can give him +ve rep. I know its only a small token.

And you can see your own reputation by clicking on settings at the top of the page.

Comment

Working...
                      X