• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying under the IR35 radar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    I think you are being unessecerily paranoid here, you are also misunderstanding Kate's role on the IR35 Forum.

She is not an employee of HMRC, nor is she enaged directly by them to work on their behalf. She is one member among 12 on the IR35 Forum which was set up specifically to review the IR35 legislation with a view to reforming it and making it clearer and more transparent. Other members of the forum include representatives of the PCG, ICAEW, CIOT, The Association of Professional Staffing Companies and the Federation of Small Businesses, as well as HMRC operational and policy staff. If you don;t trust her, you probably shouldnt trust any of them either.

She is probably the leading authority in the country on the IR35 legislation and makes her living advising people how to avoid being caught by it and defending those that HMRC decide to take to court. As the website says, they have never lost a case, which would be strange if they were in the busines of handing people over to HMRC.

If you don't want to take their advice, more fool you.

You should also be extremely careful about the comments you make about specific individuals, it's very easy to stray into Libel territory.
    WHS.

Kate is a hugely experienced and knowledgeable expert on IR35, so who better to advise the OTS? There are a lot of people who think they know everything about the legislation, but you're only really an expert if you've been at the sharp end of multiple enquiries. It would have been a nightmare if they had just picked up some self-styled guru who makes lots of noise on the internet.

Surely the fact that one of the OTS' recommendations was to suspend IR35 proves that there was no conflict of interest on Kate's behalf? It was the Government that decided to retain it.

We also met with the OTS to give our opinion, and our best consultants are ex-HMRC, but I'd hope these facts wouldn't put people off using us.
    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

I for one will continue to use Qdos for my contract checks but this is because unlike other businesses in this area Qdos's whole business is not dependent or built around IR 35 and all it entails so dont worry Qdos I am not suggesting that because you employ ex revenue and have been to an OTS meeting that your aim is to keep IR 35

Comment

Working...
      X