• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Residential Mortgage v buy to let mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Ring up your lender and ask them their policy. They will probably want to sell you a BTL mortgage but persist. Good luck.
    Thanks.

Just spoken with the lender and they werent as difficult to deal with as I had envisaged. They said there are a few questions I would need to answer, pay a £100 fee and then they look at each case individually. At least it wasnt a definate "no" from the start.

Comment

I am with Nationwide and it was a similar thing I informed them when I was going to do it they charged me a nominal fee. Done deal.

However they have since changed their policy and you can stay on the same mortgage but they are charging an extra 1% interest to cover the apparent extra costs of these types of mortgages. When I asked them to detail those costs of course they couldn't so I requested for them to find them and send me a detailed break down. Of course they have not done that either.

Wish they would just be honest and say we are charging more because we can and there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mooshld View Post
        I am with Nationwide and it was a similar thing I informed them when I was going to do it they charged me a nominal fee. Done deal.

However they have since changed their policy and you can stay on the same mortgage but they are charging an extra 1% interest to cover the apparent extra costs of these types of mortgages. When I asked them to detail those costs of course they couldn't so I requested for them to find them and send me a detailed break down. Of course they have not done that either.

Wish they would just be honest and say we are charging more because we can and there is nothing you can do about it.
        Because the rate of default is higher for BTL's than it is for residential mortgages as people are more attached to their home than an investment property. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
          Because the rate of default is higher for BTL's than it is for residential mortgages as people are more attached to their home than an investment property. HTH
          It does I wish they had just said that.

Comment

Recently heard about Let to Buy mortgages. This is where you keep your existing mortgage and, rent it out, with your mortgage providers permission. Then you get this special Let to Buy mortgage to buy the new house to live in yourself.

Apparently, all the calculations are done on how much income you get from renting the original house out rather than income multiples etc. Not looked into it that much so no idea how competitive the rates are.

Mrs is keen on this idea at the moment. Trying to tell her its not that much of an investment etc with possible Capital Gains coming into it and that bunging a shedload into a pension may be better.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Mrs is keen on this idea at the moment. Trying to tell her its not that much of an investment etc with possible Capital Gains coming into it and that bunging a shedload into a pension may be better.
              Don't just assume the Capital Gains Tax will be bad - look into it. If you ever live in the house as your main home then capital gains is not due for the time that you lived there and, in addition, is not due on the last 3 years. So you can rent out your home for 3 years and then sell it with no capital gains issues. There are also lots of allowances you can put against it. It has been a few years since I looked into this so my information will be out of date - but I would do the calculations if I were you and trying to decide between different options.
              Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
              X