• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping petrol receipts - even though you claim mileage allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I don't keep receipts and I do a tulip load of miles. I fill up possibly twice a week at the moment. Its only July and I've already blown through the 10k limit of 45p a mile!

I worked out how much it was worth (not a lot) and how much effort it would take (a fair bit) so didn't claim anything.
    I'm doing about £500 worth a month and all I do is write down on my expense spreadsheet
    - dates from and to
    - total days worked in period
    - total amount claimed

So I am extracting approx £6000 for the year, saving approx £1200 in corp tax, not paying my fuel myself out of money I have paid PAYE, NI on, and not eating into my divvies.

It's not much hassle.

On the main question, I'm FRS, and I don't keep receipts either on instruction from my accountant. Even I were keeping them, it wouldn't be much more than chucking them in an evelope.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      I'm doing about £500 worth a month and all I do is write down on my expense spreadsheet
      - dates from and to
      - total days worked in period
      - total amount claimed

So I am extracting approx £6000 for the year, saving approx £1200 in corp tax, not paying my fuel myself out of money I have paid PAYE, NI on, and not eating into my divvies.

It's not much hassle.

On the main question, I'm FRS, and I don't keep receipts either on instruction from my accountant. Even I were keeping them, it wouldn't be much more than chucking them in an evelope.

Don't get me wrong I do keep details of from/to on specific days with notes of what it was for (i.e. interview, meeting client etc) and the mileage for that day. I just can't keep hold of receipts. I lose them too easily/forget to ask for them.

Comment

Working...
      X