• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Premature termination of contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    well thats a new one on me, and have you ever been canned and they have actually paid the notice period
    I've never been canned within the trial period. I have been handed my termination only once, and that was down to the agency, but the client paid up the full notice period. I would have not created a fuss at all if they did not paid, so at the end of the day, it was just a small bonus (?) coming my way.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
      I have trial period on all my contracts. It is usually 1 week. So in the first week, the client can get rid of me anytime, but after that, they would have to give me and pay me a notice period.
      New one on me...what was the interview for in that case?
      Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        I’ve had that clause in most of my contracts, one even had a one month trial. I don’t bother arguing over it or asking for it to be removed since it’s never been invoked. If it was invoked I’m either wrong for the role or client isn’t someone I’d like to work for anyway. Given the poor standard of some contractors I’ve worked with I think any smart client would insist on the clause being there.

Comment

Does this happen fairly frequently?

i.e. client makes up some sort of excuse to get rid of contractor?

I suppose tulip happens?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
            I usually only get telephone interview with a client visit only to confirm the contract. In case the client is too sceptic, and does not want to offer the contract straight away, I use this as a trump card and offer the client an easy get out clause for a week or so.

No one used it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherContractor View Post
              1.) This is bound to be a common case with prematurely ending contracts against the signed contract. What is the point of me signing the contract? (I had passed the trial period). How should I be acting in this case?
              These things happen, sometimes they just march people off site. Just invoice them for the time worked, plus the 5 days notice period they should have given you and then move on to the next job.

Originally posted by JustAnotherContractor View Post
              2. ) I have only worked here for less then 6 weeks. Do I need to put this on my CV? I would rather not, but I don’t want any future employer picking this up in a background check – if this is possible?
              Don't put it on the CV if you don't want to. The only time to declare it would be if you are going for a job where they are going to do a background check. Agencies will ask but only because they are fishing for job leads.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
              X