• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Child care scheme / Voucher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child care scheme / Voucher

Hi,

I am a Director of Limited company and my spouse is a employee and share holder.

Our son is going to Nursery and his monthly cost is about £360. I am bit confused with the whole childcare scheme business.

1) Can I pay child care directly from my company account and split the whole amount between myself and mty wife like £180 each.

2) Is there any legal documentation I need to do in order to start the scheme with Childcare?

3) Also, its been three months since my son has been going to nursery and I have been paying from my personal account, can I now reimburse that amount to my company ?

Can some one please help me with step by step process.

A company can pay up to £55 per week, per employee. The payment must go direct from the business account to the provider, and they must be an approved and registered provider. The children in question must be 15 or under too.

There's no legal documentation as such, you should just keep records to back up the purchase.

You can reclaim any prior childcare costs as expenses, but it will be deemed as taxable income:

You provide an employee with childcare support in any of the following ways:
    reimbursing the employee for their childcare bills
    providing a cash allowance to cover childcare costs
    providing additional salary to meet the cost of childcare

What to report, what to pay
    In most cases the amount you reimburse counts as earnings, so:
    add it to the employee's other earnings
    deduct and pay PAYE tax and Class 1 NICs using your usual payroll procedures

HM Revenue & Customs: Childcare

You should also consider the changes that came in on 06 April 2011 that may affect you if you're a higher rate taxpayer, in which case the rate allowable drops to £28 a week (or £22 if you're an additional rate taxpayer). http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/employer-qa.pdf

I'd suggest talking to your accountant who would know your situation in full and be able to give specific advice.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      A company can pay up to £55 per week, per employee. The payment must go direct from the business account to the provider, and they must be an approved and registered provider. The children in question must be 15 or under too.

There's no legal documentation as such, you should just keep records to back up the purchase.

You can reclaim any prior childcare costs as expenses, but it will be deemed as taxable income:

You provide an employee with childcare support in any of the following ways:
      reimbursing the employee for their childcare bills
      providing a cash allowance to cover childcare costs
      providing additional salary to meet the cost of childcare

What to report, what to pay
      In most cases the amount you reimburse counts as earnings, so:
      add it to the employee's other earnings
      deduct and pay PAYE tax and Class 1 NICs using your usual payroll procedures

HM Revenue & Customs: Childcare

You should also consider the changes that came in on 06 April 2011 that may affect you if you're a higher rate taxpayer, in which case the rate allowable drops to £28 a week (or £22 if you're an additional rate taxpayer). http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/thelibrary/employer-qa.pdf

I'd suggest talking to your accountant who would know your situation in full and be able to give specific advice.
      What am I missing? How does a 1 man contractor ltd benefit from this?

If you have to deduct PAYE and NIC's, then it's just the same as increasing your salary by the same amount?

Edit: ah right, it's the first £55 that is NOT subject to PAYE and Nic

from the link:
      "The first £55 per week is exempt from tax and NICs and doesn't need to be reported to HMRC, provided all the following conditions are met:"

Woudl that £55 per week be classified as a normal expense for my company to offset against corp tax?
      Last edited by jmo21; 2 June 2011, 09:35. Reason: read the link

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        What am I missing? How does a 1 man contractor ltd benefit from this?

If you have to deduct PAYE and NIC's, then it's just the same as increasing your salary by the same amount?

Edit: ah right, it's the first £55 that is NOT subject to PAYE and Nic

from the link:
        "The first £55 per week is exempt from tax and NICs and doesn't need to be reported to HMRC, provided all the following conditions are met:"

Woudl that £55 per week be classified as a normal expense for my company to offset against corp tax?

The first £55 is tax free if it's paid been direct from the company. If you're joining the scheme after 6 April then that £55 may be lower depending on your tax rate.

If it's prior costs that you're reimbursing then it's taxable in full on the employee.

You can claim it as a deduction against your CT.

It's also worth seeing how this interacts with any tax credits you may be claiming. HM Revenue & Customs: Childcare vouchers and tax credits - better off calculator
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          The first £55 is tax free if it's paid been direct from the company. If you're joining the scheme after 6 April then that £55 may be lower depending on your tax rate.

If it's prior costs that you're reimbursing then it's taxable in full on the employee.

You can claim it as a deduction against your CT.

It's also worth seeing how this interacts with any tax credits you may be claiming. HM Revenue & Customs: Childcare vouchers and tax credits - better off calculator
          thanks Claire, I'll look into this tonight. I think we get £80 a month from the government for the baby, but not entirely sure what it is, will speak to the missus tonight, she dealt with that.

Comment

it may also be a good idea to ask nursery to provide you with invoices addressed to yourltdco

also there is a requirement that the scheme must be available to all employees, should be easy to fulfil in case of 1-2 man companies though

Comment

Resurrecting this thread...

Can I simply pay childcare costs direct from my company account to a nursery or do I need to use one of these voucher providers?

Comment

yes, you can

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X