• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

meal allowances for a ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    When did lunch become an allowable expense?

I thought it was a case of "you would eat it anyway so it's not an additional cost"

Happy to be wrong on this
    Nope you're not wrong Pondlife but there are exceptions e.g. if an overnight stay is involved or the meal costs are incurred during business travel.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I am not having a go here, but come on people, your in business for yourselves from the minute you start work in a morning you need to be thinking about what do i need to be doing to run my business, and keeping receipts, its not exactly rocket science is it, you do it for your fuel so just do it for everything else as well.

and it will be easier to explain to the tax man why you have a filing cabinet full of receipts than why do don't have any at all

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        I am not having a go here, but come on people, your in business for yourselves from the minute you start work in a morning you need to be thinking about what do i need to be doing to run my business, and keeping receipts, its not exactly rocket science is it, you do it for your fuel so just do it for everything else as well.

and it will be easier to explain to the tax man why you have a filing cabinet full of receipts than why do don't have any at all
        And I get your accountant will love the fact you provide a million and one receipts for your 30p paper in the morning.

The problem I see here is that the OP is trying to use every trick in the book to minimise his tax bill which gets to the stage where it costs you more in effort than you do saving on the liability.

There's a lot I could expense for but I don't because my time is worth more than the effort to save a few pounds a day
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Subsistence is allowable if you're working at a temporary workplace. Here's a nice link to have a look Travel expenses: general: accommodation and subsistence: include associated subsistence

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            When did lunch become an allowable expense?

I thought it was a case of "you would eat it anyway so it's not an additional cost"

Happy to be wrong on this
            That applies if you're self employed, but not if you're an employee.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              And I get your accountant will love the fact you provide a million and one receipts for your 30p paper in the morning.

The problem I see here is that the OP is trying to use every trick in the book to minimise his tax bill which gets to the stage where it costs you more in effort than you do saving on the liability.

There's a lot I could expense for but I don't because my time is worth more than the effort to save a few pounds a day
              "hello mr shopkeeper can i have a receipt please" place receipt in Pocket\wallet get home place receipt in Intray end of month when filling in expense form write down amount and date, file with other paperwork for that month, "yes i can see how that could be complicated for some people"

Comment

"most" Ltd Contractors claim back the cost of their lunch from their Ltd when they're off working on the client site which for "most" Ltd Contractors is "most" of the time.
                If I loose the odd receipt then I just include the average for that site or if I can remember the exact value then I use that.
                Actually, there was a time when I lost about 3 months worth (end of contract beers!) .....again though...I've taken the chance and claimed it since I can prove I was there and I must have eaten something plus my bank statements show plenty of lunch time transactions at Tescos Express.

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  "hello mr shopkeeper can i have a receipt please" place receipt in Pocket\wallet get home place receipt in Intray end of month when filling in expense form write down amount and date, file with other paperwork for that month, "yes i can see how that could be complicated for some people"
                  I never said it was complicated, I said it wasn't worth the effort.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I never said it was complicated, I said it wasn't worth the effort.
                    Have it your way then
                    "hello mr shopkeeper can i have a receipt please" place receipt in Pocket\wallet get home place receipt in Intray end of month when filling in expense form write down amount and date, file with other paperwork for that month, "yes i can see how that could be to much effort for some people"

Comment

By 'lunch' I take people mean 'dinner'?

Comment

Working...
                      X