• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student loan payments from Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student loan payments from Ltd company

Anyone got any idea how to deal with student loan payments? I'm salaried and I will be taking dividends irregularly but I still have a student loan to pay (the thing is endless!).

Try asking the student loan company. They are bound to know.

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
      Anyone got any idea how to deal with student loan payments? I'm salaried and I will be taking dividends irregularly but I still have a student loan to pay (the thing is endless!).
      Or of course pay it off with your dividends!

Comment

Student loans will only ask you to pay it back when you are earning the national average (about 15K I think).

As long as your SALARY is below that then you dont have to pay them back.

HTH.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by cswd
          I'm way above that for the minute - until I have enough profit to draw dividends!
          If you are paying yourself a salary above the national average then you should be paying back the loan. If your slalry drops below that then you can defer it.
          It is only the salary that matters your other sources of income dont matter (a flaw in their rules I expect).

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

I too have a student loan to start repaying at some point but my accountant said 'wait and see what the IR send us'. Apparently they send out forms, etc with details of how to calculate, collect, and send the payments. If you haven't received anything from them then don't pay it and just continue as you are for the time being. You don't need to start repayments until the tax year following the end of your course.

Comment

Can I just confirm...do company dividen payments not count as income when it comes to working out student loan payments on self assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by anthonychipp
                Can I just confirm...do company dividen payments not count as income when it comes to working out student loan payments on self assessment?
                We are not the people you should be asking, most of this is opinion.

The SLC only states that your salary is less than UK average, they dont ask about other income.
                You make the decisison.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Working...
                X