• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoice payment gone missing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoice payment gone missing

Hi all, I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice on an issue I'm having.

According to the umbrella company I was using at the time (I've since gone to a PAYE umbrella) they haven't received any payment for my March invoice for this year. When I queried that with my agency they claim they have sent the payment.

I'm hoping that it's just an oversight on one part or the other, but if both sides try to put the responsibility on the other and refuse to budge does anyone know what options I have for getting this resolved?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Originally posted by stevebower View Post
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone will be able to offer some advice on an issue I'm having.

According to the umbrella company I was using at the time (I've since gone to a PAYE umbrella) they haven't received any payment for my March invoice for this year. When I queried that with my agency they claim they have sent the payment.

I'm hoping that it's just an oversight on one part or the other, but if both sides try to put the responsibility on the other and refuse to budge does anyone know what options I have for getting this resolved?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    It shouldn't be your problem. In theory the contract is between your (Past or Present) employer (The Umbrella) and the Agency, as the contract should be between the 2 companies. Your contract is with the Umbrella. If your contract with the Umbrella states it is your responsibility to chase payment on behalf of the Umbrella (I'm not sure why, but hey, let's humour the idea), then you can ask the Agency to provide you and the Umbrella proof (via their bank statements) that the transaction went to your Umbrella Company.

I don't know if my advice is correct, but without potentially being dragged through the courts, I am unsure what to advise.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I would ask your agency to provide you with proof that the payment has been sent to the umbrella company and then raise the issue again; the umbrella company is your employer but you need to avoid the 'he said', 'she said' scenario.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far, still not had a resolution for this.

To muddy the water a bit all the contract resource where I currently work is being migrated to a single agency who won the right to provide contractors to the end client. That being the case I'm against the clock somewhat in trying to get this settled. I don't have a date for when I switch agencies, but expect it to be in the next couple of months.

Does anyone know the process for escalating an issue like this? I'm hoping I don't have to go down that road, but some advice just in case would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stevebower View Post
          Thanks for the responses so far, still not had a resolution for this.

To muddy the water a bit all the contract resource where I currently work is being migrated to a single agency who won the right to provide contractors to the end client. That being the case I'm against the clock somewhat in trying to get this settled. I don't have a date for when I switch agencies, but expect it to be in the next couple of months.

Does anyone know the process for escalating an issue like this? I'm hoping I don't have to go down that road, but some advice just in case would be appreciated.

Cheers
          Do you have proof that your timesheet has been approved by the client?

Are you able to get the agency to prove that they paid?

If you are able to prove your timesheet was signed and can't get proof of payment being made, either scan it and email it or post it (via registered post - make sure you have a copy) to the Umbrella Company and tell them to take it up with their legal team to see if they can take the agent to a small claims court to recover lost monies. That's the best way of escalating this issue.

That's my 2 Groats worth.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
          X