• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd phone call about tax services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd phone call about tax services

I got a call from someone offering tax services and they wanted to confirm my email address to send me some details. She asked if I was a contractor and if I was in a contract. The email address they gave me is one I have not used for some years and since it was cold-calling I laughed at them for buying an old emailing list, refused to give them a new one, and I hung up.

A Google search for the phone number only gives a link to a cold-caller query forum here: Who Calls Me from 02476236509?

• I got a call from them, too, today. Said something about tax and wanted to know if I do contract work and am using an umbrella company for it. Said they got my number from job-site and only wanted to verify my email to send me some information. I assumed it was legit as I just signed up for a job-site and thought it was about a job I applied. Now I'm not so sure.
    • I have deduced this is not a scam, but the HMRC checking on people who either were contracting or are contracting. Big brother is out to get you.
    It just so happens both me and my Ltd Co are in deep trouble with my tax because I've been out of work for a very long time.

I got her name but not the organisation name. So I plucked up the courage to ring back so I could see how they answer the phone ... it just rang and rang. Could it be a civil servant's desk and they're out to lunch? I can't believe a tax advisor / accountancy doesn't pay someone to answer their phones.

The email address is one I used to use on job sites but I think I have given it to HMRC; it was probably the one I was using when I set up my limited company (which is currently within a few weeks of being shut down).

Any ideas what's really going on?
    If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

I would say it's a scam.

HMRC and big companies are careful not to just phone people up or email them without writing to them due to the number of scammers around who impersonate them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thank you.

One tends to get a bit paranoid, sat at home all day.
      If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

I got one of those today as well, and I haven't even got the first contract (this time round) yet. }:8þ

Comment

Me too. They are just another scheme provider promising 90% take home. I said "No thanks, I assume you are offering some kind of EBT arrangement", they said yes. I can't even remember their name.

Comment

Working...
          X