• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax rebate question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax rebate question

Hi folks, I have been working on my current contract for 4 weeks under an umbrella company. Prior to that I did not work at all in the 2010 – 2011 tax year. I have earned less than my tax code allowance, will I be able to claim a tax rebate ? If so do I or the umbrella company apply for it ?

Originally posted by Virtual Lover View Post
    Hi folks, I have been working on my current contract for 4 weeks under an umbrella company. Prior to that I did not work at all in the 2010 – 2011 tax year. I have earned less than my tax code allowance, will I be able to claim a tax rebate ? If so do I or the umbrella company apply for it ?
    Unfortunately you can't claim a rebate for tax that you haven't paid out.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

If you've been working for 4 weeks, then you worked during 2010/11, as that tax year finished yesterday. If you paid tax, then yes, you should be due a refund, although if the umbrella company calculated your wage properly they shouldn't have deducted anything as you'd have had more than enough "free pay" being so close to the tax year end.
      Last edited by Vallah; 6 April 2011, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
        If you've been working for 4 weeks, then you worked during 2010/11, as that tax year finished yesterday. If you paid tax, then yes, you should be due a refund, although if the umbrella company calculated your wage properly they shouldn't have deducted anything as you'd have had more than enough "free pay" being so close to the tax year end.
        From what i can see they have deducted the full amount of tax.

Comment

Well then yes if that's less than your personal allowance, you are due it back.

Contact the tax office (HMRC Contact us) and they'll arrange for you to be repaid.

Comment

Likley they used the BR tax code. Yes you can claim it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
              Well then yes if that's less than your personal allowance, you are due it back.

Contact the tax office (HMRC Contact us) and they'll arrange for you to be repaid.
              Thank you for your help Vallah I'll contact them now.

Comment

My pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                X