• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Terminate before onsite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminate before onsite

I am yet to be onsite for my new contract but have found something else better, and want to terminate the first one.

I need to give 1 week's notice, but given that I haven't started, how should I go about 'not turning up' ?

Worse case, I could, in theory, hand in notice on day 1, and wait for a week to start the next contract, but that's waste of my time and client's money.

How should I go about negotiating with agency/client?

Originally posted by panadol View Post
    Worse case, I could, in theory, hand in notice on day 1, and wait for a week to start the next contract, but that's waste of my time and client's money.
    It's bad form to do this, you give contractors a bad name.

If you are determined that you aren't taking the contract then there is no point turning up on site to give notice, you'll just waste everyone's time. Just tell them you've had a better offer and unless they can come up with something then you're not taking the contract.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

This is precisely the reason why contracts not permitting the contractor to serve notice are becoming more prevalent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
        It's bad form to do this, you give contractors a bad name.

If you are determined that you aren't taking the contract then there is no point turning up on site to give notice, you'll just waste everyone's time. Just tell them you've had a better offer and unless they can come up with something then you're not taking the contract.
        I agree, it is bad to turn up day 1 to do that, hence that'd be the very last resort if I must. Doubt it'd get to that point though.

It was just that i realised a few of the contract terms aren't very favourable to me, plus other offers also came through.

Will speak to agency frankly and see what they have to say.

Comment

It was just that i realised a few of the contract terms aren't very favourable to me, plus other offers also came through.
          If the agency's contract is especially nasty then I'd tell the client that you aren't doing business because of that. It's always good to put the boot into the agency, IF they are trying something nasty like penalty clauses.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

I agree, it is bad to turn up day 1 to do that, hence that'd be the very last resort if I must. Doubt it'd get to that point though.

Will speak to agency frankly and see what they have to say.
            So, what did the agency say?

Comment

Working...
            X