• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice period is not the same

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice period is not the same

Quick advice needed.

How often do you see mismatched notice periods. I have got a new contract where I would have to give 28 days of notice and the other hand, the agency gives me 7 days of notice period.

Would you recommend this and is this a common thing in contracting in UK?

Originally posted by tyut4669 View Post
    Quick advice needed.

How often do you see mismatched notice periods. I have got a new contract where I would have to give 28 days of notice and the other hand, the agency gives me 7 days of notice period.

It's fairly common in my experience. My current one is the same as yours. In the past, I've worked for an IT services company that can give you 7 days notice but you can't give notice at all.

Comment

Quick advice needed.

It's common these days (many are trying to introduce a contract where the contractor cannot give notice at all). If you aren't happy with it, then negotiate.

I tend to insist that they are reciprocal, but it's not a deal breaker if they refuse (which is rare).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Quick advice needed.

shouldnt matter to you as an individual if you're outside of ir35 - its the business that doesnt have a notice period not you - you should be able to substitute if you really need to move to another contract - done this a few times over the years - added benefit of making a few pounds profit on it also! Generally I've only done it when a project has ended and there has been time left at end of contract - client asked for other things to be done - provided them with previous contacts who could do work better - saved client hastle of having to sort new contracts etc!

Comment

Working...
        X