• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big balance on LTD - Moving abroad - Options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big balance on LTD - Moving abroad - Options

Hi,

I am an EU citizent and currently a UK resident (have been for more than 7 years) and have used a limited company to trade. There is now a considerable amount of money left in the company. I have been offered a permanent position that would allow me to be based abroad. I am also looking to purchase a flat abroad. Is there anything I can do to utilise the cash balance left in the company with as little as tax exposure as possible?

Thx

You can apply for ESC C16 to gain acceptance that you are able to distribute the remaining retained profit in the company as a capital distribution. You could then apply Entrepreneur's Relief (provided you meet the criteria) and potentially pay about 10% personal tax.

Comment

Make yourself redundant and wind up the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
        You can apply for ESC C16 to gain acceptance that you are able to distribute the remaining retained profit in the company as a capital distribution. You could then apply Entrepreneur's Relief (provided you meet the criteria) and potentially pay about 10% personal tax.
        Oh, the above is part of closing down your company for it to apply

Comment

yeah i am aware of this relief but even then the tax liability is substantial. Is there anything else I can do? I am not in a big rush to take the money out, but I don't want to wait till retirement either...I still have 20 or so years to go.

Can I, for example, provide 50% or even 100% of shares to the wife and maker her a shareholder? My accountant advise me that is not possible without her contributing towards the value of the company, but I have seen many reports of people doing this or something similar?

I have also seen reports in these forums of people recommending that staying out of the UK for 5 tax-years and visiting a tax-haven place can enable a tax-freee dividend, or something along those lines?

Thanks in advance.
          Last edited by panosk75; 11 March 2011, 17:13.

Comment

Perhaps look at your tax residency when you move abroad. If you become non UK tax resident you could potentially pay no tax on dividends depending on which country you "escape" to (where there maybe a double taxation treaty). A useful link for you HM Revenue & Customs: Income Tax when leaving the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@InTouch View Post
              Perhaps look at your tax residency when you move abroad. If you become non UK tax resident you could potentially pay no tax on dividends depending on which country you "escape" to
              What if a company director bounced around a few countries for a year or so, could they potentially become non resident for tax in any jurisdiction?
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                What if a company director bounced around a few countries for a year or so, could they potentially become non resident for tax in any jurisdiction?
                No - you have to be able to prove that you have indefinately broken all ties with the UK - by proving residence in another country otherwise its a holiday. Evidence will be your things like your visa, and a permanent address in another country.

Comment

Originally posted by panosk75 View Post
                  Hi,

I am an EU citizent and currently a UK resident (have been for more than 7 years) and have used a limited company to trade. There is now a considerable amount of money left in the company. I have been offered a permanent position that would allow me to be based abroad. I am also looking to purchase a flat abroad. Is there anything I can do to utilise the cash balance left in the company with as little as tax exposure as possible?

Thx
                  Your options will depend on where you are moving to and how that country will view your company and the income it generates.

Using ESC16 to take all the money out of the company as a Capital Gain and using Entrepreneurs' Relief to reduce your UK CGT liability is likely to give you the lowest tax bill. It is what I did because it was better for me to pay CGT in the UK than to draw the money after I had moved to my new home. I looked into it carefully.

Originally posted by panosk75 View Post
                  I have also seen reports in these forums of people recommending that staying out of the UK for 5 tax-years and visiting a tax-haven place can enable a tax-freee dividend, or something along those lines?
                  Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  That was probably me and I do think that it is possible. You do have to satisfy HMRC that you have permanently left the UK and you must not return (except for short visits) for five whole tax years (or they will still want the CGT if you go that route, or still tax you on your income).

As I said at the start, the critical bit if you are not going to pay CGT in the UK is how your new country will view the money your company gives you and that varies from country to country so you are unlikely get a definitive answer on here.

Comment

Is there any other way? Could I utilise my spouse's allowances somehow?

Comment

Working...
                    X