• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tax avoidance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax avoidance

Advice needed! My GF's brother is heading back home to OZ next month for good. He has an Aussie and British passport and has been contracting here for 2 years. He has a limited company and basically has mismanaged it. To cut a long story short he owes taxman a nice lump ££, but is going to jump ship, so to speak, without paying him. I've advised him against it, but he's going to go ahead and do it. What are the implications for him in UK (if he were to return) and in Australia? Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated..

Originally posted by aussieItman
    Advice needed! My GF's brother is heading back home to OZ next month for good. He has an Aussie and British passport and has been contracting here for 2 years. He has a limited company and basically has mismanaged it. To cut a long story short he owes taxman a nice lump ££, but is going to jump ship, so to speak, without paying him. I've advised him against it, but he's going to go ahead and do it. What are the implications for him in UK (if he were to return) and in Australia? Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated..
    Two words - extradition, jail
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

yeah I think Australia and UK tax departments have some sort of agreement/relationship. Didn't know they would extradite and jail however.. how would they trace him?

Comment

.. how would they trace him?
        unless he's gonna go walkabout in the bush , quite easily.

If he gets a job then the Gov. will know here he is!
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

yeah I think Australia and UK tax departments have some sort of agreement/relationship. Didn't know they would extradite and jail however.. how would they trace him?
          No idea how they'd trace him, but I'm sure they'll work hard at it. Deliberately skipping the country knowing you owe tax is tax evasion (not tax avoidance) and is a serious offence that will result in jail time should he ever be caught.

Comment

He got advice from PayslipPlus (or whatever it's called) that because his LTD company is dormant he won't be traceable? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Comment

He got advice from PayslipPlus (or whatever it's called) that because his LTD company is dormant he won't be traceable? Doesn't really make sense to me.
              That's not true. He'll be a registered director of the company and he will have made PAYE payments as well. He'll also have paid utility bills, had credit cards, paid council tax, registered a car with the DVLA etc etc. There are a lot of dots that can easily be joined.

Comment

I had a friend that ran up many huge loans and credit card bills before buggering off to New Zealand, but he did not rob the tax man. That would be plain silly.

Comment

I worked with a guy who wanted to do this once.

The advice that he got was "you'll be alright .... as long as you don't want to come back". (he paid up, .... and has come back)

tim

Comment

Working...
                  X