• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor with company for over 4 years... any obligation to make me permanent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Two year rule" is to do with travelling to a permanent place of work and travelling expenses, as defined by HMRC.

You have to face facts - the ClientCo is keeping you because you are cheaper than permies and easier to let go in the case of a downturn. The words "having their cake" and "eat it" spring to mind - for them.

Choices are to put up or shut up - but what's to stop you enquiring as to whether they would make you permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
      "Two year rule" is to do with travelling to a permanent place of work and travelling expenses, as defined by HMRC.

You have to face facts - the ClientCo is keeping you because you are cheaper than permies and easier to let go in the case of a downturn. The words "having their cake" and "eat it" spring to mind - for them.

Choices are to put up or shut up - but what's to stop you enquiring as to whether they would make you permanent?
      Absolutely, in the clients position if I could get a long term contract resource for less than a permie I'd definitely do it.

As Dearnla pointed out the two year rule I mentioned refers to expenses incurred at a temporary workplace. Some people and HR departments think there's an obligation on clients after 2 years, but that's an urban myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post

I suspect that's not the particular "two year rule" that is being referred to here

Most companies dislike having contractors past a certain point for fear that just like the OP they start to claim they are a permie

At this point they like try to get rid of contractors regardless of their value due to some mindless HR policy (or maybe convert to perm)

Time frame varies from client to client, sometimes 1 year sometimes 2, sometimes a random time period

Usually doesn't always stop a renewal, but add lot's of extra hoops to get sign off

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
          I suspect that's not the particular "two year rule" that is being referred to here
          Most companies dislike having contractors past a certain point for fear that just like the OP they start to claim they are a permie
          At this point they like try to get rid of contractors regardless of their value due to some mindless HR policy (or maybe convert to perm)
          Time frame varies from client to client, sometimes 1 year sometimes 2, sometimes a random time period
          Usually doesn't always stop a renewal, but add lot's of extra hoops to get sign off
          Indeed, absolutely true. The shame is it's a myth and the HR departments that hand out those policies aren't in command of the facts.

I've heard the policy mentioned at loads of clients and the managers can't do a damn thing as they have to obey the rules formulated by HR muppets.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Indeed, absolutely true. The shame is it's a myth and the HR departments that hand out those policies aren't in command of the facts.

I've heard the policy mentioned at loads of clients and the managers can't do a damn thing as they have to obey the rules formulated by HR muppets.
            The manager at my current client of nearly 4 years pulled me into an meeting room last month and offered me two options - either go permanent immediately or leave at the end of the week (and the end of the contract). This was in response to some "2 year" policy sent down the chain by HR.

After a brief and somewhat futile discussion regarding potential permie salary, I thanked him for the opportunity and said I'd leave at the end of the contract. My contract was subsequently renewed after a week of watching daytime TV at home, and I should be on site until at least June.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if your client/manager values you sufficiently, they will take on HR and their irrational rules in an attempt to keep you on.

Comment

Working...
            X