• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick bit of advice - what %age of each invoice to set aside???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick bit of advice - what %age of each invoice to set aside???

Hi All

Just starting out, not a contractor but supplying IT services for quite a few companies. So not VAT registered, doubt I will get to the registration threshold. Sole trader at the moment, thinking of going limited. Need an accountant who I can approach "face to face" in Leeds to discuss these issues etc. (see other post).

Back to the question. Being prudent what is a good rule of thumb to put aside from each paid invoice to cover TAX etc. My bank opened a "savings" account for this purpose.

Seen other posts for 21% of each invoice before VAT, is this about right assuming my ongoing expenses will reduce my liability?

Think I need the advice of on accountant sooner than later

Cheers

Originally posted by NC35 View Post
    Hi All

Just starting out, not a contractor but supplying IT services for quite a few companies. So not VAT registered, doubt I will get to the registration threshold. Sole trader at the moment, thinking of going limited. Need an accountant who I can approach "face to face" in Leeds to discuss these issues etc. (see other post).

Back to the question. Being prudent what is a good rule of thumb to put aside from each paid invoice to cover TAX etc. My bank opened a "savings" account for this purpose.

Seen other posts for 21% of each invoice before VAT, is this about right assuming my ongoing expenses will reduce my liability?

Think I need the advice of on accountant sooner than later

Cheers
    You do need an accountant! Have a look at this guide: SJD Contractors Guide - Step by Step Guide - Expenses Guide - Take Home Pay Calculator . You need to register free to download.

There are benefits and potential drawbacks to VAT registration even if below threshold - need an accountant! Can't comment on 21% except that it seems low to me (you need an accountant!)

Comment

If you aren't operating through an umbrella or your own Ltd, then everything you bring in will be subject to PAYE rates.

So, it depends on what your current income is and how much you are going to earn. (I think!)

You need an accountant and I would either go through an umbrella or get your own company sorted sooner rather than later - then you can start operating as a business rather than running the risk of mixing your own money and that of the company.

Also, if you aren't through an Ltd or umbrella, agencies in the UK won't touch you.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NC35 View Post
        Seen other posts for 21% of each invoice before VAT, is this about right assuming my ongoing expenses will reduce my liability
        21% is about right for a LTD, but sole trader will pay a lot more. Set up a LTD is my advice - it's more admin but you can potentially avoid more tax and you also have limited liability (ie, they can't come after your personal assets, only the company's)

Definitely speak to an accountant who can advise you on your personal circumstances.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
          21% is about right for a LTD, but sole trader will pay a lot more. Set up a LTD is my advice - it's more admin but you can potentially avoid more tax and you also have limited liability (ie, they can't come after your personal assets, only the company's)
          They? Who is They? If it's the Revenue, I bet They can.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            21% is about right for a LTD, but sole trader will pay a lot more. Set up a LTD is my advice - it's more admin but you can potentially avoid more tax and you also have limited liability (ie, they can't come after your personal assets, only the company's).
            As IF said if "they" = HMRC they can come after your personal assets or make you bankrupt in the process of dragging you through legal action as they don't owe a duty of care to people.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
              They? Who is They? If it's the Revenue, I bet They can.
              Absolutely. A Limited Company isn't a vehicle to rob the HMRC blind, they will definitely come after your personal assets if you engage in wrongful trading as a company director. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

My point about Limited Liability refers to the "quite a few companies" that NC35 works for. Any one of these could bankrupt a worker acting as a sole trader if things went pear shaped. Under a Limited Company structure they would probably get bugger all as you could close the company and there would most likely be nothing for them to take.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
              X