• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Preventing Student Loan Overpayment - Mission Impossible?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preventing Student Loan Overpayment - Mission Impossible?

Hi,

I wondered if anyone else working via an umbrella has successfully managed to negotiate the bureaucratic minefield that is getting student loan repayments stopped? I'm £500 away from finishing paying back my student loan and am trying to inform all parties in good time (5 weeks - maybe I should've factored in 5 months ) so I don't end up overpaying as I hear claiming back overpayments is even more difficult!

Student Loans Company apparently only update their records yearly, on information from HMRC.

The person I spoke to at HMRC this morning claimed that 'SLC and HMRC are the same company' and my employer needs to liaise with SLC. Guidance to employers on the internet tells them not to contact SLC direct as SLA can't give information out to 3rd parties.

My employer (umbrella co.) has sent me a summary of student loan payments made during 2010/2011 tax year, but it's not on headed paper and is electronic format.

My next move is the send the above summary to SLC with a covering letter and cross my fingers.

Does anyone have any better advice and/or successfully managed to pay back without paying over?

THANKS!

Note: I suspect the guy I spoke to at HMRC doesn't know his onions so am going to try calling them again this afternoon... if I can get through

Working...
X