• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Underpayment of VAT in 2009

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underpayment of VAT in 2009

Hi,

While cross referencing my VAT payments I found a discrepancy of £10.02 for my 2009 VAT payments

I understand I can complete a VAT 652 form and declare it to the VAT man, does this need to be done for such a small amount or would you pay the extra £10 on the next return and file notes conc. this underpayment.

greg.

An error under £10,000 can be simply adjusted on your next VAT return, there's no need to submit a notice to HMRC.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

thanks clare,

i take it i would have to keep a record of the error?

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        An error under £10,000 can be simply adjusted on your next VAT return, there's no need to submit a notice to HMRC.
        That's the advice I had from HMRC when I found a £100 cockup on one of my returns a year or so back. You can call the VAT helpline to confirm, but since an accountant has stated the rule as well I'd be comfortable just adjusting on your next return and noting it in your books as a correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Longshaft View Post
          thanks clare,

i take it i would have to keep a record of the error?
          Just note your records to show why it happened. In all honesty if everything else is OK then they are unlikely to worry about it as it's such small value.
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
          X