• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid Income Tax in 2010 in both NL and UK - In limbo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Income Tax in 2010 in both NL and UK - In limbo

Right, the topic of this thread may not cover what I would like it to cover, however let me give it a try to explain my situation.

I am a Dutch national, but with ties to the UK. I have been living in the UK for over three years, but so far only paid taxes in the Netherlands. I am about to get married, so no plans of leaving. I basically check all those sort of boxes. I have always worked via payroll companies in the Netherlands since moving to the UK, in order to get taxed at source and in order to qualify for trips home, hotel costs, etc. Of course I could have used some more risky constructions, however so far it has always worked pretty damn good for me. I don't qualify for 30% rulings, etc.

Now in June I took on a short contract in London for four months. When I first moved to the UK I registered for an NI number, so I used that to pay my contributions, etc. I also was taxed for income taxes in the UK for this particular bit of income and I am now a bit confused if I need to tell either the Dutch or UK taxman about it?

So here is how I look at it myself and I would appreciate comments and feedback, however I doubt if anyone has ever been in the exact same situation ....

Now, as I have been working in the Netherlands for longer than the 12 months ever since I moved to the UK, I would consider myself a non-resident for tax purposes in the UK. But I wonder now, if those 4 months in London have set the counter back to 0 on that particular subject. Next to that, if I would get a tax relief in the UK for the tax paid whilst in London, I will have to declare the income in the Netherlands and then perhaps pay tax on it there. I mean, is that a good move, or should I just leave things as they are? I paid full tax at source on both my Dutch and UK income and I suppose in a way that makes everybody happy?

I have never been asked by UK tax authorities do a self-assessment, but that is also because I have never registered with them. I am under the impression that there is no direct relation between HMRC and the NI number; I know that may sound a bit dumb, however in the Netherlands it feels there is far more of a relation between the SOFI/BSN number and you as an individual.

Help a brother out !

Working...
X